Karoq ride comfort and quality

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
Kelly80

Post by Kelly80 »

Hi everyone - after some opinions...let me explain.

I purchased my first SUV a few months ago being a 2019 Vauxhall Mokka X. However I am really not getting on with the ride; it's reallly bumpy around town and picks up even the smallest road imperfection and larger potholes or manholes send shudders through the cabin with a bit of a wobble also. I did test drive it but when you only get 10-15mins driving a new car it's easy not to really pick up on everything - probably because I was a bit wowed by the new car and SUV set up (previously drove medium hatchback).

I am seriously thinking of cutting my losses and trading in for another SUV, and the Karoq was one on my original shortlist but price was a bit of a stretch. Before I decide to start test driving other options, can I ask what the general opinion is of the drive comfort on the Karoq? My concern is that the harder/bumpy ride might be a character of the SUV and that reverting back to a hatchback might be the better option (but I really like the SUV style!).

Any advice appreciated.

CJJE

Post by CJJE »

The Karoq is reckoned to be a bit softer than its sister vehicle the SEAT Ateca - which is set up with a 'sporty' ride. But many owners will tell you that it's more comfortable with the 17 inch alloys fitted to the SE / SE Drive / SE Nav+ / SE Technology trims than the 19 inch alloys fitted to the Scout / Sportline / Edition trims.

Older SE L trim cars had 18 inch for a long time, then flirted with 19 inch between August 2020 and January 2021.

(The smaller alloys are fitted with 55 section tyres instead of the 40 or 45 section fitted to 19 inch wheels.)

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

Take a test drive (Covid allowing) and look at the wheels fitted. If it's on 19" rims then try one on 17' or 18' (or even 16").

Personally I don't understand the fashion for big rims. They are more susceptible to kerb/pothole damage, the tyres are more expensive and the ride is harsher.

Check out this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=438

Confused?
You will be!

tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

I have had 3 Karoqs. 1 SE L 18 plate.1. Edition 19 plate 45 aspect 19 inch tyres current one Sportline 20 reg, 19 inch 40 aspect tyres.
Avoid anything with tyres of aspect less that 50.
The Sportline was so uncomfortable (for my 75 year old very bad back) that
I invested £300 on a set of s/hand 16 inch 60 aspect. MUCH better ride and road holding not affected. Go for the smallest wheels you can find (16inch) with the biggest aspect tyres and you will be fine. Avoid the 19 inch at all costs.
It seems to be an obsession with all European makes to fit these stupidly huge wheels with 'skinny, rubber band' tyres.
They are fine on sports cars but why the hell they fit them on SUVs is beyond me.
There is nothing more ridiculous than a RangeRover with 21 inch wheels and 40 aspect tyres. It just screams that the owner is a poseur 'Chelsea Tractor driver and wouldn't know an off road situation if he sunk up to the axles in mud!! :lol:
It seems that only the Japanese & Koreans fit sensible tyres these days. These trouble is that the equivalents for Skoda's SUV range are rally just high rise hatchbacks.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
jjg70

Post by jjg70 »

I wish Skoda would take notice of what you are saying Colin. Now that the honeymoon period is over with my Karoq, I'm noticing the shock from each road irregularity and thinking, "the Sorento wasn't like this!"
Having said that, it doesn't bother me and I could live with it.
Life's not that simple unfortunately and when the covid situation has eased, my wife and I will be going everywhere together and she is the back suffererer, so I know it'll bother her and although she doesn't say anything, I can sense her discomfort.
I got rid of a Hilux that I really liked years ago for this reason - the cartsprung suspension made it a real bouncer.
I was talking to a Yeti owner in the supermarket car park the other day and checking out his wheels, which don't look bad.
I think it's going to be 16 inch wheels in due course or the Karoq will have to go.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

If enough of us write to Skoda UK, the just MAY report to the factory, but I wouldn't count on the factory doing anything about it.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

They are happy enough to sell you bigger wheels as options, so why not also sell optional smaller wheels for those who value comfort over looks? And give us the choice of buying all-season tyres as well instead of summer tyres!!
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert »

Sent today to Skoda.
Good morning.
Please see the thread below on the Karoq forum and request the factory to enable the choice of tyres SUITABLE for SUVs not the ridiculous ‘rubber bands’ supplied. They are fine on sports cars but stupid in appearance and performance on SUVs.
As one member says, ‘ Skoda are happy to give the cost option of BIGGER wheels but why can we not have the option of SMALLER wheels for those who value comfort over looks.’
I have had 8 Skodas to date and my current (third Karoq) will be my LAST SKODA if I cannot have a more comfortable ride.

If Japanese and Korean manufacturers can supply ‘proper tyres on SUVs ( Honda CR-v, Kia Niro, Mazda, Hyundai, Mitsubishi etc etc,) why can’t Skoda.
The 16” Alutec rims I was forced to buy to give me a decent ride, with 215/60 tyres give a far better ride without detrimentally affecting roadholding. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=746
Yours sincerely,
C.A.Lambert.
Moderator,
Karoq & Kodiaq Forums.
Colin Lambert. AKA 'Kodiaq'
Moderator Karoq Forum.
Dip Automotive Eng.
Had 8 Skodas, last one was 3rd Karoq. 2019 Sportline 1.5 TSi DSG Race Blue.
Now Kia eNiro4+ :lol:
jjg70

Post by jjg70 »

With all the moaning I've been doing about the rough ride on my Karoq, it didn't occur to me to check the obvious - TYRE PRESSURES!!!!
The maximum for my 18 inchers is 2.5 and that's for carrying four passengers and five suitcases.
Because I keep moving house, I don't have many mates and the most my car ever carries is my wife and myself.
I reduced pressures down to exactly 2.1 which is shown as suitable for three occupants and three suitcases.
HALLELUYAH - all of a sudden, I have acceptable ride quality. My wife, who is the back sufferer also noticed the difference when we went out today and this was without any prompting from me.
We are now aware of the appalling state of the roads in Nottingham, but the emphasis is on "being aware" rather than "feeling every bump".
I feel I deserve a sound thrashing for not carrying out this simple check any sooner.
ray21

Post by ray21 »

I bought a new sel 1.5 dsg in March,it arrived with 19"wheels but my dealer changed them to 18". That's what I call putting the customer first.Thank you City Gate Slough. The ride is fine,I did reduce the tyre pressure to 2.2 bar.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post