Karoq ride comfort and quality

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
Tone

Re: Karoq ride comfort and quality

Post by Tone » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:32 am

What does anyone think about different wheel sizes. My dealer says that the 19” wheels are effected worse by potholes etc. because the actual tyre is thinner. I’ve got an Edition on order with 19” wheels and would like to know if it is a good idea to go for the 18” wheels instead.

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:56 am

Try going back a page (to page 1) on THIS thread and you will see what people think. Especially read my comments!!
Colin Lambert.
aka.
'Kodiaq.'
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & Kodiaq Forums.

24 VRT

Post by 24 VRT » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:08 pm

Tone wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:32 am
What does anyone think about different wheel sizes. My dealer says that the 19” wheels are effected worse by potholes etc. because the actual tyre is thinner. I’ve got an Edition on order with 19” wheels and would like to know if it is a good idea to go for the 18” wheels instead.
If I were you I'd live with the 19'' wheels for a while and see what you think.
We have an Edition on those wheels and, contrary to the views being expressed by others, we find the ride perfectly fine. Surprisingly, manufacturers dont just get in job lots of the cheapest alloys they can find and then shove them on their cars regardless. Chassis/suspension set up is reviewed to provide the best balance between ride comfort, road behaviour, performance, etc. and, in addition, the aesthetics of the wheel on the vehicle it is destined for are considered. As far as the Karoq goes, I think the 19'' Crater alloys look good inside what are roomy wheelarches and where the car's ride height allows for larger diameter wheels to be carried off (nothng worse than large diameter alloys that look like they have been shoehorned up into the wheelarches giving the appearance that the car has 'sunk down' on its wheels)..
There are other aspects to consider here which also have a bearing on the issue - tyres (not in terms of size, but in compound hardness - soft up to hard), tyre pressures, driving style, type of roads used most and the age of the car. A new car on new hard compound tyres with new suspension that has still to bed in, plus new seats that have yet to' settle' and yes some could feel they are driving on cartwheels rather than rubber tyres. Give it all a year, and things will have settled down. Tyre pressures are often too high on new cars (saves them getting flat spots when sat around in compounds for long periods ahead of delivery) - dealers should adjust these as part of the PDI but don't (ours were over-inflated).
If you are buying brand new and spend your driving life haring around on country lanes full of potholes, then don't be surprised if you get tyre/wheel damage, but if you drive at a speed appropriate to the road, then you should be OK if you are unfortunate enough to be unable to avoid a pothole. If you want to go yomping over deep holes then buy a proper 4x4 not a SUV.