New Karoq SE L 1.5 TSI DSG collected today.

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
jjg70

Post by jjg70 »

I drove 80 odd miles to Milton Keynes today and chopped in My 17 reg Sorento for the new Karoq. On the way, I wondered why I was getting rid of a perfectly good motor with less than 23000 miles on the clock. Almost tempted to change my mind but I had parted with my money . Maybe I've become unbalanced by the isolation of the last year?
Motor looks great in emerald green metallic and only disappointment was that my first ever automatic didn't have paddles so I could control gear changes when it suited me, however the car performed more than adequately in "normal" mode, the kickdown giving me the acceleration when I needed it on entering a busy motorway and similar situations.
Driving at the speed limits, I recorded 41 mpg on the way there in the Sorento, a 2.5 litre diesel with 190bhp.
Same journey on the way back in the Karoq gave me 44 mpg, which wasn't too bad I thought for busy motorway driving.
I'm not tall, just 5ft 9in, but have long legs and short upper body, which made it difficult to get a really comfortable driving position, but I'll work on that problem.
First impressions with the DSG are favourable, but still adjusting after over 50 years driving manuals.
I'm finding all the technology impressive and a bit daunting to get to grips with it. I'll have a go at initialising the Skoda Connect tomorrow but can't see myself paying for it after the freebie year runs out.
I'm sure it's going to be a good learning experience.

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Well done you!
Congratulations.
I miss my 'flappy paddles' (had them on my Edition, but for some reason not on my Sportline???)
The solution to your problem is ....push the gear stick to the left and then forward and backwards to change gear. Beware that if in manual it will change DOWN automatically as you slow down, say to a junction. Then when you pull away it will STAY IN FIRST until you change up. This will result in screamingly high revs until you either bang the stick back to the right (into auto) or leave it in the left position and 'row' your way back up the gears.
Skoda Connect is a rip-off! I don't think many pay and if they do, they regret it. Enjoy it while it's free, if it works!!
Enjoy your lovely new car!
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

I'd never had the paddles on my 2 Golfs, and never really missed them. If you want to just change down to accelerate, pull the selector back into Sport mode, then pull it again to change back to your previous mode. Or you can go full manual by pushing the selector to the right, but in 10+ years of driving a DSG I've only done that once - just to try it out. Even when driving down steep hills (Holme Moss), the box changed down automatically to help the brakes out. And when needing to accelerate up a steep hill on a corner, shifting to Sport mode was easier and quite sufficient for my needs.

My Karoq does have the paddles fitted as standard, but I've only used them once to see why people raved about them :)

Chris

PS: The main reason I'm considering renewing the Connect subscriptions would be to continue to get the online map updates. At present you cannot update them on the MIB3 systems (MY21 cars) via the USB port with a downloaded file, although Skoda Customer Support are suggesting this might become possible later in the year.
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Chris, did you mean push the gear stick to the RIGHT? Or was it a typo?
All my Skoda DSGs I push the lever to the LEFT to go into 'rowing' mode.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
jjg70

Post by jjg70 »

Thanks for the informative replies. When I was piddling about familiarising myself with the car, I moved the auto gear stick to the left and the Sales guy told me I wouldn't need to do that. I think it'll be a case of getting used to an auto and I didn't find the DSG at all jerky as someone suggested in a previous post. There again, I haven't tried sport or eco modes. I managed to get it comfortable today by pulling the steering wheel towards me to full extent with the seat all the way back and raised quite a bit. Everything feels firm and well engineered. Got to say I'm impressed as I've never had a Volkswagen or any other German vehicle (I know it's from the Czech Republic, but it's part of the VW group). After years of owning Austins, Morris's, Triumphs etc etc and having to carry a full tool kit with me, I thought that Japanese/Korean vehicles were the be all and end all, but I'm rapidly being converted to "vorsprung dork technik" or whatever they call it.
Isn't it good that, even at the age of 70, getting a new car is pure enjoyment - great being a bloke isn't it?
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Glad you are enjoying your new cr. I am 75 and I still get a thrill changing cars. I don't have any other vices so waste inordinate amounts of ££ changing my car every 12-18 months.
Pleas wash your mouth out and stand on the naughty step "vorsprung dork technik"
is a cousin that we don't talk about! Audi!. :lol: (mainly because they get first dibs on the transport boats from Emden, thereby causing longer delays for Skodas)
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

kodiaq wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:31 pm Chris, did you mean push the gear stick to the RIGHT? Or was it a typo?
All my Skoda DSGs I push the lever to the LEFT to go into 'rowing' mode.
Very true! That was a bit of lockdown brainfade I'm afraid! I've only driven around 400 miles in 4 months :(

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
jjg70

Post by jjg70 »

I stand corrected Kodiaq, but you know what I mean.
I am prepared to admit that, up till now, I have been a bit of an opinionated oaf in relation to automatic gearboxes, stating that they are for people who are lazy or unable to master the tricky business of changing gears.
I wouldn't go back to manual now and find the DSG box makes life easier and does not take away the enjoyment of being in control of your car.
I'm constantly looking for an excuse for a journey - in fact, I have made appointments for us with our Dentist, although there's no urgency for teeth repairs, it's just the fact that he's 60 miles away. We didn't change Dentists when we moved because he's the best we've had, so that was a bonus!
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

I only started using autos in my 60's when my left knee would not take clutch work anymore.
I worked for Shell all my life, most of the time driving up to 30k a year. No wonder my left knee finally gave up.
Also living in a large conurbation with the horrendous traffic, manuals really are a no-no for old knees.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post