extended warranty - is it worth it?

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
jjg70

Post by jjg70 »

As I'm awaiting delivery of my new TSI SE L auto, I believe there is an option of extending the 3 year warranty. Being a low mileage user whose boy racer days ended about 40 years ago, I'm wondering if it's worth doing. I've previously had Toyota and Kia new cars, which have longer warranties and I've never had to use them (except Kia dealer who took it upon themselves to change a wheel bearing that had nothing wrong with it).
I will try local Skoda Dealer for servicing and see what they're like - I do check things to make sure jobs have been carried out wherever I can.
I usually end up using an independent I can trust as I find that mechanics (or Technicians as they now call them) from main dealers are on a bonus system so it pays them to find something that needs replacement (even when it doesn't) and it also pays them to do as little as possible so they can get onto the next job more quickly.
Unfortunately, if it comes to warranty work that needs doing, the dealer is going to be more amenable if he knows you're a customer who uses them for servicing.
I know it's impossible to make a totally accurate prediction, but what I really want to know is:
am I buying a car that's unlikely to need warranty work in the first few years of it's life? or
is it better to be safe than sorry and extend the warranty?

CJJE

Post by CJJE »

There are two factors that lead me to buy an extended warranty - the fact that I tend to keep me cars for longer than the 'free' warranty of three years, and that DSG boxes can be very expensive to repair should they go wrong (and the dry box on the 1.5 TSIs is reputed to be less reliable than the wet box on my 2.0TSI.)

But I also buy the factory warranty when I order, not the dealer's version, which suspect may be more expensive, and am not sure if it gives as good cover.

Having said that, I haven't needed to claim on either the warranty or extended warranty for my last four cars (Octavia -- 2006 to 2011, Golf Plus -- 2011 to 2014, or Golf SV -- 2014 to 2020).

But over the lifetime of my cars it doesn't cost that much extra to give me peace of mind. After all I pay for house and contents insurance every year too, and haven't made a claim on that for years either :)

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
jjg70

Post by jjg70 »

Thanks CJJE.
My car is manufactured and supposedly on it's way. Do you know if I can still buy the manufacturer's warranty and roughly the cost?
The dealer is no doubt going to push their own warranty as it's bound to be a further commission for the salesman. cheers
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

I suspect not as the factory warranty is included as an option in the initial order. The current prices are £300 for a 4th year or 80,000 miles, £340 for a 4th year or 100,000 miles, or £630 for a 4th and 5th year or 100,000 miles. See here: https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/warranty

You'll need to compare prices at the dealer, or you can buy one later before the standard 3 year warranty runs out.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
jjg70

Post by jjg70 »

Thanks Chris, I think I'll have to wait until I get the car before I make a decision, Joe
Mr Happy

Post by Mr Happy »

I always take up the option of extended warranty whenever I buy a new car, as i find it gives me peace of mind

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post