Karoq in the snow

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
1stkaroq

Post by 1stkaroq »

Just joined and will be picking up our se drive dsg on Monday. My thoughts on this subject are this, all tyres are a compromise, low resistance tyres with great economy will have less grip than high performance tyres. I live in Cambridgeshire and we get very little snow and few Temperatures below 7 degrees so winter tyres would be a waste of time as the majority of time they would offer less grip than summer tyres. If. The problem with British weather is it is so variable, one day snow and ice the next it’s 10 degrees and sunny. We are unlike some countries where come October you fit winter tyres and leave them on for six months.
One of those motoring magazines did an article on wither tyres recently and their advice was for the majority of the U.K. the best compromise was get a set of good all season tyres for winter and fit the summer tyres in summer. The all sason tyres won’t be as good as proper winter tyres in snow and ice but will be vastly superior to summer tyres, and will be better than winter tyres above seven degrees. The wear should even out as each set will only be on for half the time.

CJJE

Post by CJJE »

Welcome to the forum, and hope your new car goes well for you.

I still have a set of winter tyres that I bought around 8 years ago for my Golf Plus. I then used them on my Golf SV as well, but they are now time-expired while still having plenty of tread depth left. So to my mind, swapping tyres every 6 months is likely to leave you with tyres that are too old to use safely while still having ample tread depth, unless you drive a lot of miles (especially in winters).

I'm now planning to fit all-season tyres as a reasonable all-year compromise instead of the summer tyres fitted on my new Karoq, (my old winter tyres are too small to fit of course).

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I used Michelin CrossClimates on my Yeti and when I compared them with the original fit summer tyres I can't say that I ever noticed any fall-off in performance during the summer but the difference in winter and on slippery, wet surfaces was very marked. The Karoq came with a set of Bridgestone Touranzas which were awful when pulling away and, although I never noticed any real slippage when the car was moving they never felt as though I had a solid connection to the road. I replaced the front tyres with CrossClimate SUV tyres last spring and the car felt better on warm dry roads as well as through the winter months. I have recently replaced the rear Bridgestones with CrossClimate SUVs and suddenly the car feels like my old Yeti did with all the grip I need and a very secure feel on the road at all times. When the time comes to put new tyres on again, I will not hesitate over the tyres I fit,

The CrossClimate SUV tyres are at the upper end of tyre prices in the size but they are worth every penny and great all year round (just as the name suggests).

Have fun,

Ian.

PS I should probably add that I am in the Thames Valley; we do not get much snow or even many frosts, but cold roads and wet leaves are part of my everyday driving during the winter months.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post