Auto locking doors

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
e999sam

Post by e999sam »

Hi I’m new to the forum and I’m in the process of buying a new Karol. I have one cocern about the door locks. Do they lock automatically and if so can you program them not to. This could be a deal breaker for my wife who panics when locked into a car.

Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

The doors auto-lock when the speed gets above about 10mph. Once stopped pulling the interior door handle in the front doors will allow them to open (I have no idea how the back doors work - I have never sat in the back :)). There is a button in the centre console to unlock (or lock) the doors should you need to (to let somebody in, for example). I have never tried to disable the automatic locking as I never really notice that I am locked in.

If you need me to check for any setup options, I can do that next time I have to go outside (it's raining hard now so I don't really fancy going out at present).

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

Download the Owner's Manual from the Skoda UK website.

The Manual can be a bit confusing as it covers all systems/accessories/models but you should get some idea of the possibilities.

I think pulling any interior door handle unlocks the doors, the exception being child locks that can be set independently on the rear doors

The car is quite clever.

tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Welcome to the forum.
All above comments.... correct.
Just show your Mrs where the unlock button us and put her in charge of clicking it every time you set off.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

I think the auto-lock when you're driving is optional via a setting in the menus. I used to think this was worthwhile when driving around shady parts of Birmingham, but have since disabled it to ensure emergency workers can gain access quickly should they need to.

When you're parked and leave the car, a KESSY car will detect your key moving away and the driver's door closing, and then turn off the radio but I do not believe the car will lock itself automatically. And the manual specifically warns you not to lock a door with someone inside, which would suggest it is your decision whether to lock the door or not.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

CJJE wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:29 pm ...the manual specifically warns you not to lock a door with someone inside, which would suggest it is your decision whether to lock the door or not.
That's not quite how I understand it. I have never known my car to lock itself when parked apart from when I unlock it but then don't open a door within (I think) 30 seconds. I believe the manual is trying to warn you not to deadlock the car. A standard touch on the KESSY sensor will lock the doors so that they cannot be opened from the inside or the outside. A double touch of the sensor (or double click of the button) disables the internal alarm sensors and also leaves the doors able to be opened from inside and this is what the warning about "Safelock" on the dashboard is about.

I use the double-tap if I have to leave the dogs in the car for a few minutes to prevent the alarm sounding. To be honest with something over seven stone of Mastiff cross in the back it seems unlikely that anybody would want to try and get in :o , but you never know...

On the original question of autolocking a search of the manual turned up the information below, which seems to imply that the autolocking function can be disabled but will only persist after switching the ignition off and on if you have the key personalisation enabled. (I do not have that function so cannot check, sorry).

Have fun,

Ian.

Locking.JPG

Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
24 VRT

Post by 24 VRT »

e999sam wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:35 pm I’m in the process of buying a new Karol. I have one cocern about the door locks. Do they lock automatically and if so can you program them not to.
On our MY21 Karoq Edition, the default setting for the autolock function (doors lock themselves when the car reaches 15km/hr) was off. We had to activate it via the Infotainment screen, as we like this feature being active on our cars. So panic not - you won't end up with doors locking themselves on a factory order car unless you want it to happen. Whether the default setting on pre-MY21 cars is also 'off', I don't know, but if you are buying a factory build now it will be to MY21 spec.
e999sam

Post by e999sam »

Thanks for the replies. I’ve got a car on test drive for 24 hours and having driven it the doors locking isn’t really noticeable so hopefully it won’t bothering the wife. :D
e999sam

Post by e999sam »

I’ve got a car on 24 hour test drive and to be honest the doors locking is hardly noticeable so hopefully won’t be a concern.
1stkaroq

Post by 1stkaroq »

Personally the first thing I set up on a car is only to unlock the drivers door on the remote key fob and to auto lock when driving away. I know someone who pulled up outside some shops in London in an Octavia only to be dragged out and the car stolen. I have known women pull up at traffic lights only to have someone open the passenger door and run off with the handbag. Would you really leave the front door to your house unlocked?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post