Fake engine sound in 2.0 tsi sportline

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
Nobbysnuts

Post by Nobbysnuts »

Have now purchased a 2.00 tsi sportline and very very impressed with it in every way...except the annoying fake engine interior sound that is present in all modes except eco. I know that this fake sound can be turned off via coding but local skoda garage were (a) unaware of the sound generator in the 2.00 petrol tsi model and (b) are unable to help in turning it off.
Have any other forum members with this model
Had any success in turning the fake engine sound off via coding ?

CJJE

Post by CJJE »

It can be turned off (I'm told as I haven't got my Karoq Sportline yet) with either the OBDelelenPRO device or a Carista device. (As well as VCDS at a dealers!) Google 'Soundaktor' and look in the https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/4 ... en-tweaks/ thread.

Note that VAG are introducing 'SFD' protection to stop us recoding the software in VAG cars, starting with the Golf 8 and latest Octavia, but I am hoping this won't apply yet to MY21 Karoqs! (I suspect one of the motives for this change is that VAG want to be able to sell owners extra features at a later date, and so don't want us enabling the for free.)

I also understand that it is set to 0% in the Eco drive mode, 50% in the normal drive mode, and 100% in the sport mode. And that you can turn it off in the individual drive mode.

Other owners have said it is also fitted to the top 2.0TDI Sportline.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

That's a new one on me!
Glad my Sportline hasn't got it (unless it sounded like a V8😉👍)
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

Most people seem to find it really annoying, which is why there are lots of posts about disconnecting it physically, or by software coding, on many of the 'sportier' VAG cars. But at least Skoda only fitted it to the most powerful of the Karoq Sportlines!

The whole concept takes me back to my very first car a 2 1/2 litre straight six Vauxhall Velox (made in 1954, and bought around 1963).
This was sold as a luxurious 6 seater with front and back bench seats (much appreciated by a teenager with a girlfriend). But it had two silencers fitted in series to its exhaust pipe, making it too quiet for said teenager. So I removed the rear silencer and replaced it with some wide bore copper tubing with a belled out end. (I was working as a Saturday boy in an ironmongers at the time). That was much better I thought :)

Now I've grown up, and have bought an OBDeleven device & app to be able to turn the Soundaktor off amongst other things.
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
Osbourne

Post by Osbourne »

Had my 2.0 sport line since June, impressed with the car,my third Skoda ,apart from the fuel consumption and the fake engine noise
Booked it into the dealership today and they turned it off, now 0% in every mode, it’s like driving a different car.
They charged me £60 , had I known about the fake noise when I bought the car I would have insisted that they turned it off for free before I signed the deal
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

I bought the basic First Generation OBDeleven device for around 40€, and have turned off the soundaktor that way. It also claims to allow you to fine tune things like the flick indicators (choosing how many flashes they give between 1 and 5) but for some reason I couldn't get that to work (I wanted to increase it to give 5 flashes).

Skinflints can also set up the Individual driving mode with the 'Engine Noise' turned off, but that means as soon as you switch to Sport mode the noise level rises markedly :)

Chris

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post