1.5 DSG sportline - Initial impressions

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
Bob Spence

Post by Bob Spence »

I have recently changed from 1.6 TDI SEL Karoq Manual to a new 1.5 DSG Sportline and thought i would summarise my early thoughts.
The Sportline is a vastly better looking car with the body kit making it look very different to the SEL - far less black plastic and the fake chrome exhausts really look good.
Sports seats are very comfortable and supportive.
I was concerned about the ride quality due to 19” wheels and low profile tyres. Yes it is not as smooth as the SEL being on the firm side but not unpleasant. There is however slightly more tyre noise particularly on a rough surface.
Engine wise the 1.5 is almost limousine in nature. Totally quiet and almost inaudible. The DSG box is superb with imperceptible gear changes and it always seems to be in right gear at the right time. The auto coasting feature works brilliantly and no doubt saves fuel.
Turning to economy that was my biggest concern however I have been amazed how this powerful 150bhp motor returns excellent fuel economy. Local runs of 5-10 miles achieve 43-47mpg and longer runs at 70-80mph are 51-54mpg. I am impressed. 2000rpm in 7th gear equals indicated 75mph making motorway cruise very relaxed.
I do miss the varioflex seats from the SEL but this is offset by the electric tailgate and panoramic glass roof.
Overall I can not fault the Sportline to date and highly recommend this version even though it is perhaps overpriced ( I personal lease mine at £256 pm on a 9+23 10000miles pa contract)

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Bob,
So impressed you said it twice!! :lol:
I have had Karoqs SE L, Edition and now Sportline.
I would second most of what you say.
SE L certainly more comfortable, Edition was excellent apart from 45 aspect tyres (a bit iffy comfort wise) Had a pan roof and 4wd and varioflex seats as standard.

Sportline and this is where I'm afraid I disagree.In part..... Tyres cr*p! (mind you I am old and have a bad back) but what worries me more is that a close encounter with a decent sized pot hole will undoubtedly require a new tyre if not a new wheel.
I admit the road holding and acceleration due to the 'rubber bands' is impressive, But had I wanted a sports car I would have bought one.
I admit that I was stupid buying it unseen and undriven because I have always wanted Race Blue and just went for it, (trusting my dealer after 12 years and 7 Skodas) but NOT researching it.

Having two 25 Kg Lurchers the boot s not big enough for both on a long run. The varioflex seats made all the difference.
It also came without a spacesaver, which my Edition had, so I had to spend £72 on the S/saver, jack & tools, as I refuse to be ripped off by being made to spend £168 on a new tyre just because I have a a puncture costing £20 to repair. Space saver et al is less than half the price of a new 'rubber band'.

I am so unhappy with the dreadful ride that I am having to spend loadsa munny buying some 16 inch wheels with 'proper' 60 aspect rubber.
I cannot understand the European manufacturers obsession with skinny tyres, even on REAL off roaders like Rangies.
If you want 'proper' tyres, it would seem that you have to buy from the land of the rising sun or Korea.
I won't be buying another Skoda unless it is 'properly' shod!
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

Agree with everything you say.
What wheel and tyre specs are you looking at?
I am looking to go from the hard and noisy 18" Bridgestone Turanzas on my SE L to 17" Ratikons with all season tyres.
I didn't think I could go down to 16" wheels.

tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

I am buying unmarked set of Alutec 16inch with 215 60 Goodyear All seasons.
I may get them sprayed black. Suggest you look at
tiresize.com
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

Thanks Colin

Are these 6.5J?

I am looking at the Goodyear All Seasons. I had their winters (Ultragip 8) on my second set of wheels for my Yeti and liked them a lot.

Please post a picture of them on the car when you have fitted them.

tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
Grapow

Post by Grapow »

My first post and although I am a Brit I live in Spain and it seems Skoda have a different model range here or at least use different names to describe them. We took delivery of a new Skoda 1.5 Tsi Style yesterday and so far I am hugely impressed. The drive and ride quality are excellent and the car affords generous space in the cab and boot.
One thing which confused me is the size of the USB port. Presume this is some form of micro usb to connect our phones? This seems very foreign to our Android phones, presume there is a connection cable? Are these easy to find and are they successful?
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Sounds like a USB 'C'
What is the difference between USB and USB C?
USB-C features a new, smaller connector shape that's reversible so it's easier to plug in. USB-C cables can carry significantly more power, so they can be used to charge larger devices like laptops. They also offer up to double the transfer speed of USB 3 at 10 Gbps.8 Jun 2018

I think I'm right in saying that the 'STYLE' is similar to the UK SE L (Go to Skoda UK and check the spec of the SE L agaunst what you have.
The SE L has bigger aspect tyres and therefore a much more comfortable ride than the Sportline which has 40 aspect 'rubber band' tyres.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Grapow

Post by Grapow »

Thanks for the advice on USB type C will check it out, the dealer here told me to get a micro usb adaptor but that didn’t work.
I think you are right, the SE L seems the same, can’t figure out why they don’t keep the same model name

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post