Spacesaver spare wheel

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
bone_tone

Post by bone_tone »

Karoqer wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:33 pm quote: "According to the handbook, the temporary spare wheel should only be used to get to the nearest garage...,"

Do you mean the 215/60 R16 ?
But the 125/70 R18 presumably isn't "standard size" either - otherwise what is the "full size" option.
So I still don't see the practical difference between them.
Handbook only says 'temporary spare wheel', but given the limitations on usage it must be the spacesaver.

The full size option will be an alloy spare, matching those on the car, the third option will be steel (albeit different dimensions from the standard alloy).
Skoda Karoq 1.5TSI SE L Capuccino Beige

Skodaman

Post by Skodaman »

You cannot order a full size spare I tried but the spacesaver fits well and leaves plenty of room
bone_tone

Post by bone_tone »

Skodaman wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:21 am You cannot order a full size spare I tried but the spacesaver fits well and leaves plenty of room
Apparently you can order a full size spare on the SE Tech.
Skoda Karoq 1.5TSI SE L Capuccino Beige
YorkYeti

Post by YorkYeti »

If you only fit a spacesaver or temporary spare where do you put the full size wheel if you need to use the spare? Doesn't make any sense to me that companies are allowed to get away with such nonsence.
Womanofkent

Post by Womanofkent »

We've bought a showroom Karoq from our local dealer and as a result need to buy a spare wheel as they hadn't specd that. Spoken to Skoda UK yesterday who rang me back today. He has confirmed that currently the only way to get the spare wheel of any type is to buy when you order the car, they are only available via factory fit. He has asked the factory to speed up the supply through the parts department but this could be several months and will be more expensive than buying when you order the car possibly by £100. Hope this helps someone.
Karoq 1.5 TSI DSG Edition, Quartz Grey, towbar, heated windscreen and nozzles since 1 Feb 2018 new to the Skoda brand
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

temporary steel space saver spare wheel ..... 215/60 R16 £150" or
"steel space saving spare wheel ....125/70 R18 £150 "

I would think that they would both be speed restricted as they both are a different size from the standard alloy wheel.

Mixing different sizes on the same axle for speed or distance is asking for trouble.

Tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

From distant memory the bolts holding steel wheels on are a different shape (taper at shoulder) from the ones holding on the Alloys. Vauxhall supplied a set of bolts with the steel spare. On my Yeti I was told that is the reason for the speed / distance restriction as they use the same bolts for both types of wheel. This may not be the case now but at least it was an explanation - my Land Rover had same issue when I had that.

Grumpy
Grumpy. Karoq 1.0L SE in Business Grey previous Yeti owner
Johnd5314

Post by Johnd5314 »

The 125/70 R18 is for the 4x4 version which has a shallow well for the spare wheel as the Haldex unit fits beneath the well. The 2 wheel drive has a deeper well and will take the wider wheel. If I had a choice I would choose the largest wheel.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post