Electronically operated boot

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
Ryebanana

Post by Ryebanana »

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to get an electronically operated boot fitted on a second hand model?

We have found a used SE L which has all the specs we need but the missus would really like the boot to have a button. I haven't found any used models with that option so rather than buy brand new solely for this one feature I was wondering if this is doable as an after market installation?

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

I doubt it, but if it is possible I would think the cost would be prohibitive as you need a button in the driver's door and on the boot lid plus loads of wiring and the actual motor.
Ask the Dealer, but my opinion would be to wait for a secondhand with a leccy tailgate that has the spec you want.

I am, today, changing my '19 Edition for a '20 plate Sportline with Meadens of Brockenhurst Hants.

It is 1.5 DSG, petrol blue, leather, pan roof leccy tailgate , 4wd 8,800 miles . All (Most of) the toys.

Meadens will deliver free within 100 mies or further for a modest fee. Ring Tom Sexton, Dealer Principal on on 01590 623344 if you are interested. I have no idea what he will charge for it obviously. But it is a cracking car. It was the service Managers car until 1300 miles when I bought it 18 months ago.
I have dealt with Tom for nearly 12 years and bought 6 cars from him. You can be assured of first class service and a genuine deal. from a national Skoda. dealer of the year winner. A privately owned . Not a faceless national company.
https://www.meadens.com/

Here are a few on Autotrader. I put in Electric tailgate and these came up, but their system is not infallible. So I would look at all Karoqs listed and if you see one you like, ring the seller to check on boot operation.
Personally I would avoid any DERV like the plague! Nothing wrong with diesel, I have had many in my 77 cars........BUT it is now perceived to be 'The Devil's Fuel'. Diesels are becoming more and more unsellable as time passes. It started with VW's 'Dieselgate' and the fact that having been persuaded by past governments that DERV was cleaner than petrol, somebody, all of a sudden, discovered lethal micro-particulates. This spelt the death knell for diesel. If you intend to keep your car until it dies, then it is less of a worry. Bear in mind though that DERV is a lot more expensive than petrol and the modern petrol engine is almost as economical, with lower priced fuel and lower depreciation. Diesels are depreciating like a brick falling in a vacuum. There was a garage in Southampton boasting that he only sold diesels. He nearly went bankrupt and had to sell anything. Be warned!
Good luck.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search ... 20tailgate
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Ryebanana

Post by Ryebanana »

Ok great thanks Colin.

I think we will wait a little longer to see if one comes up for sale within our budget.

Thanks again
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

What is your budget? I'll keep my eye open.
I told Tom Sexton. He is obviously happy to hear from you if you wish.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Mark-Guildford

Post by Mark-Guildford »

I have an electric tailgate on my BMW 2-Series Gran Tourer, but I wish I didn’t have it. There have been several times when something must have pressed down on the button on the keyfob in my pocket, and I’ve gone out and discovered the tailgate wide open. I ended up having to get a big chunky leather key fob cover to prevent the buttons being pressed, which is a pain because the keyfob now fills up half my trousers pocket.

The tailgate on my wife’s Karoq is manually operated, and I much prefer that.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

I agree with Mark. I have had that problem in the past.
If you are a dog owner they can be particularly dodgy with the dog either getting trapped (never happened to me luckily) or jumping out either too early or when you have put it in the car and before the boot has closed. (has happened to me)
It is also just something else to go wrong. I had real problems with my very early (first 6 registered in UK) Kodiaq.
I suggest you get SWMBO to try a manual tailgate first, they are very well balanced, before you go to the lengths of trying to find something that might not be necessary.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Mark-Guildford

Post by Mark-Guildford »

I think the manual tailgate on the Karoq is also quite a nice design. With some cars, it can be hard to find/grab the cavity in the tailgate where you have to put your fingers. But the Karoq has a nice kind of “dongle” which is very easy to see and grab hold of.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post