2020 Karoq with 1.4 TSI and 8 speed auto

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
TJJ

Post by TJJ »

Hi From next month the base Karok here in Australia will no longer have the 1.5 TSI and 7 speed DSG. This was the only engine/gear box sold here.
Now the Karoq will come with a 1.4 TSI and an 8 speed torque converter auto. Reason given by Skoda is VW group will not use euro 6 engines in markets that do not use euro 6 standards. Certainly no other VW group cars here have the 1.5 engine and all use the 1.4 TSI even the latest Audi models come here with 1.4 TSI. I have the 1.5 tsi and believe its a newer design, lighter and 10% more efficent (lower fuel consumption)

Do any Karoqs anywhere else use the 1.4 motor? And whats this 8 speed TC all about? At least Skoda AU are now bringing the sportline here with 2.0 tsi 140kw 4x4 and dsg.

TJJ
Karoq 1.5 DSG Oz Launch Ed. Candy White 19"
My other car's a Yeti

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

That is news to me and most others I suspect. I can understand the use of the 1.4 lump out side the rules of the Fourth r/Reich(!)
The new Superb iV PHEV uses the 1.4 + electric motor.
Giving up the DSG after all these years seems very strange. As far as I am aware they have never (in modern history at least) used a TC gear box. I would love to know if anyone can prove evidence.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
TJJ

Post by TJJ »

Hi see this link, https://www.caradvice.com.au/815418/2020-skoda-karoq-australia/

and the quote, "Come the second quarter of 2020, the same car will instead be powered by a 1.4-litre engine mated with an eight-speed torque converter automatic." I also understand that some Audi that use a dsg in Europe use a torque converter (8 speed ?) when sold in the USA.

Proof ? So in Oz we are going from dsg to tc :(

"Markets like the USA have been offered Volkswagen Group products with a torque-converter for a number of years, "

TJJ
Karoq 1.5 DSG Oz Launch Ed. Candy White 19"
My other car's a Yeti
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Well. There's a thing. I've learnt something today. I wonder with the problems they'v had with certain DSG models they haven't gone the TC route in more models.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post