New Karoq 4x4

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
LeeLee12

Post by LeeLee12 »

Hello
This might sound daft, I have always been a manual driver and in control of the car..
This is my first Automatic ... how does the P work
I am guessing it’s automatically on, but if your parked on a hill .. ( what stops this from failing) as not true handbrake to pull up..

Do you have. A fail safe?

Thanks Alethea
Alethea ❤️❤️

sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

P stands for "park". Put it in P before turning off engine. If you don't the car will remind you.
The auto brake works instead of the handbrake that you don't have. Excuse me interrupting. The 'auto brake' is NOT the handbrake, it is the small button to the right of the parking button the rear of the two. If depressed it applies the handbrake automatically every time you stop.Mod
You can't beat ploughing through the owner's manual.

The Australians have got automatics well sussed!

tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Hello Alethea,
Welcome to the forum.

NEVER, EVER Try to move the lever into P when moving or you will end up spending £thousands on a new gearbox.
P locks up the transmission by putting a pawl into teeth in the gearbox.
It is NOT a hand brake and the vehicle should NEVER be left on a hill with gear lever in P but no handbrake applied. You would be hanging over a ton of car on a pawl not much bigger than your little finger.
Leaving the car on flat level ground in P is ok.
What you should do when coming to a prolonged halt is ....
1. apply footbrake.
2. apply handbrake.
3. turn engine off.
4. put gear lever in P.
You do 4 LAST so that by applying handbrake first you will avoid putting any strain on the gearbox/pawl.

If you told your dealer you had never driven an auto before he has fallen extremely short in his responsibility to you by not talking you through every aspect of the new car you have just spent £thousands on. Even if you did not mention that, he should have explained how to operate everything on the car.
Lastly, even if not mechanically minded, I respectfully suggest that you go to bed with a good book :lol: .......the car's manual! ;) Since it would appear that your car salesman has let you down so badly.
DO, please, feel free to ask any questions you may have to enable you to enjoy this fantastic car.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
LeeLee12

Post by LeeLee12 »

Come on... never laughed for much..

It’s the ((P)) Hand Brake ... ;))))
Not the Park P on the automatic gears ..
But thank you, I was not sure why they car had not got a hand break I don’t like the feel of leaving the car without pulling up a hand brake ..
Must be a girl thing .. the video mage me laugh so much ..
🤣🤣
Alethea ❤️❤️
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Sorry, misunderstanding. You spoke of an auto and then mentioned 'P' so understandably thought you meant P on the gear stick quadrant. you didn't say P BRAKE!
Parking brake is electrically operated by the little lever marked P to the rear of the gear stick and puts the BRAKES on all 4 wheels.
If you push the button to the RIGHT of the handbrake, the one nearest the rear of the car, every time you stop it will apply the handbrake automatically.
By the way. you do not HAVE to let the handbrake off manually before driving off. Just drive away and the handbrake will come off automatically, whether the 'autohold' is on or not.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

Sorry, I’m the one to apologise. I lost the plot with my answer. Safest thing is to ignore everything I said except read the owner’s manual and laugh at the video.

Tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Don't worry, I think the mistake was me mistaking P (park) for P (parking brake) But I still claim it was an understandable mistake.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
LeeLee12

Post by LeeLee12 »

Thank you all ...
Now I have a separate issue
There is a Red Car in brackets which has flashed three times since I got the car last Friday..
What’s it mean ... reading the hand book it since clear ..
It also beeps at me too :))

((🚘))
Alethea ❤️❤️
cmac

Post by cmac »

Now I have a separate issue
There is a Red Car in brackets which has flashed three times since I got the car last Friday..
What’s it mean ... reading the hand book it since clear ..
It also beeps at me too :)
If it looks like this:

then it means the car thinks you are getting too close to the vehicle in front for the speed you are travelling.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

it does mean that but it is also means you are approaching ANY hazard not just vehicles. Warning you that is about to apply the brakes. HARD! See the picture of the little boy with the ball below.
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/426977-mystery-warning-display/

This covers most of the important ones, but not those about which we speak!
https://www.jardinemotors.co.uk/servicing-and-parts/skoda-warning-lights/

This one means what it says as you are driving along, basically you are breaking the 'two second rule'. Image
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post