Karoq Edition 1.5 TSI DSG - Advice on Tekky Stuff

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
Hampshirelad

Post by Hampshirelad »

Hi Everyone
Have been analysing a proposed purchase to death, seems to have been quite a few of us who have done this.

I do not change my car very often, so there now seems to be quite a bit of kit available which come under the heading of driver aids. I am well into my 70's so it has its attractions, but does it it do what it says on the tin and have others found it useful ? I understand that the driver has to be in control of the car at all times.

Lane Assist - This seems to come in a number of types from lane departure to actively centring the car in the chosen Lane. Some of the Youtube videos for the Karoq have two boxes on the display to tick for Lane Assist and then below Adaptive Lane Assist, so what do we get in the UK and what are the experiences please ?

Front Radar Assist - If this gets triggered and the car then stops. Does the car have to be rebooted or reset before it will move on

Adaptive Cruise Control - To get what might be described as a follow on system dose this have to be linked with traffic jamb assist in the optional drivers assistance package ?

19in Wheels - The view of the forum seems to be that these do not deteriorate the ride if not over inflated.

Upholstery - Anyone had the beige interior and was it difficult to keep clean - (no pets, just grandchildren ! )

Any other tips gratefully received

Many thanks

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Hampshirelad wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:44 pm Hi Everyone
Have been analysing a proposed purchase to death, seems to have been quite a few of us who have done this.

I do not change my car very often, so there now seems to be quite a bit of kit available which come under the heading of driver aids. I am well into my 70's so it has its attractions, but does it it do what it says on the tin and have others found it useful ? I understand that the driver has to be in control of the car at all times.

Lane Assist - This seems to come in a number of types from lane departure to actively centring the car in the chosen Lane. Some of the Youtube videos for the Karoq have two boxes on the display to tick for Lane Assist and then below Adaptive Lane Assist, so what do we get in the UK and what are the experiences please ?
My lane assist 2019 Edition 1.5 EVO DSG 4WD is permanently working as long as activated on the infotainment screen. The screen logo is orange when off, always below 40 mph. Over 40 it turns green and if you do NOT indicate it will nudge the steering wheel if go go outside your lane. If you feel really brave, you can even slacken your grip in the steering wheel for about 20 seconds and it will steer you round bends before telling you to take over steering. If you ignore the instruction it will dab the brakes. Continued inaction will put the brakes on AND HOW!

Front Radar Assist - If this gets triggered and the car then stops. Does the car have to be rebooted or reset before it will move on No.

Adaptive Cruise Control - To get what might be described as a follow on system dose this have to be linked with traffic jamb assist in the optional drivers assistance package ? Sorry can't help with this, only have the peasant version (unfortunately)

19in Wheels - The view of the forum seems to be that these do not deteriorate the ride if not over inflated.
My previous Karoq was SE L had the smaller wheels and I can feel no difference
Upholstery - Anyone had the beige interior and was it difficult to keep clean - (no pets, just grandchildren ! )I always have beige leather. Dogs, in boot, grandchildren, 1, 13, other 3. Latter never in car, former VERY rarely

Any other tips gratefully received don't buy a diesel! Unless you are going to keep it until it dies, as residuals will continue to plummet, Also big cities are increasingly banning or charging diesels to enter, servicing tends to be more expensive, short journeys are very bad for diesels and can cause severe damage to diesel particulate filters if not regen'd frequently. and lastly, the 1.5 engine's consumption (taken the differential in cost of the fuel) almost equates to the derv if driven sensibly, Which, as a fellow mid-septuagenerian, I am sure you will, :lol:
Any more questions, pleas fell free to ask.

Many thanks
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Traffic jam assist requires Lane assist, dsg gearbox and adaptive cruise control. If you have all three you have the traffic jam assist. I got it by accident, I wanted the blind spot warning which came bundled with lane assist. I actually did not know about the traffic jam assist until I had had the car for a couple of months.

The adaptive cruise control is excellent, making motorway driving very relaxed and having got used to it I really miss it when I use my wife's car (traditional cruise control).

The other extra that I added which was not standard on the early Edition specification was the electric front screen demist. It was well worth the extra as was the heated steering wheel (I have no idea if the heated wheel is standard on an Edition)

Hope that helps,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

(I have no idea if the heated wheel is standard on an Edition)
Not on mine unfortunately! ((April 2019 reg)
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Hampshirelad

Post by Hampshirelad »

Many thanks for all the info.
Hampshirelad

Post by Hampshirelad »

Many thanks for all the info.
silverhairs

Post by silverhairs »

The Adaptive Cruise Control on my 2019 Polo will be the same on your motor.
Once you have switched on the ACC on the wheel, you can set the distance from the car in front of you, (this will be in your handbook) If you have an auto box, if the car in front slows to a stop, so will you, once the car in front pulls off, you will also.
Can I say at this point, if your doing 60 MPH the distance (how you've set it) should be 2 second distance, once you start slowing down, the distance shortens, when crawling in traffic, it's about a car length.
Once you get to the speed you require, you just press the set button on the wheel, and it will not only stay at that speed, if you come up to another car in front, doing 5 MPH less than you it will slow down to their speed limit, if the road is clear you just pull out and it will go back to your set speed.
The one thing I have found is, if a car in front turns right, into a slip lane, your cars radar still sees that motor, till it peels right off, and your car will try and brake because it still sees that car. All you have to do to override it is just to accelerate and this will override the braking.
I love my ACC! And my rear view camera.
I have seen posts about disabling the lane assist for good, a bit like the stop-start system. If you have an automatic, it does tend to dull the acceleration if you want to get out of a side turning a bit rapid, without causing another motorist any inconvenience. I always turn off the stop - start off.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post