Winter wheels and tyres

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
Pointedarrow

Post by Pointedarrow »

Has anybody gone down the route of winter steel wheels and tyres in 16" for their Karoq, if so where did you source them?

Thanks

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Living on the south coast, it is luckily something we don't have to worry about.

BUT a word of caution. If you do fit winter wheels and tyre or even just change tyres for winter ones, you MUST ADVISE YOUr INSURANCE COMPANY, or you risk driving uninsured. Some will employ ANY excuse NOT to honour a claim.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Pointedarrow

Post by Pointedarrow »

Thanks, I am aware of that
Breezy

Post by Breezy »

From Admiral Insurance.....

Will fitting winter tyres affect my insurance?
“Your insurance doesn’t change if you change to winter tyres. If you do decide to get your tyres changed, you don’t need to contact your insurance provider as long as it’s only the tyres that have been changed. If the entire wheel has been replaced, you will need to contact your insurance provider”.
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Post by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX »

Hi.
Hopefully you won;t but if you did have any issues around insurance for winter wheels / tyres then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
Pointedarrow

Post by Pointedarrow »

Guys,

Thanks for all your concerns about insurance, as I said in my earlier post I am well aware of my duty to inform my insurance company, however can anyone answer my original question?
Jimmy of Whitby

Post by Jimmy of Whitby »

Hi Pointedarrow. I have fitted the cross climate rims and tyres I used for our Yeti. The Karoq tyres are 215/50 R18 92W and the cross climates are 215/60 R16 95H, with Goodyear 4 Seasons tyres on Alutec Grip silver alloy rims. One of the Skoda Karoq approved accessories is the Castor light alloy wheel 6x16" for 225/60 R16, 215/60 R16 tyres, so I haven't changed the specification. I informed my insurer anyway. I have noticed no change in the ride quality with the winter rims. The overall diameter is slightly less, but as long as the speedometer doesn't read below true speed, it's legal. I calibrated my speedo with the Nextbase 522GW dashcam and as an example, on the original wheels 70mph indicated was a true 67mph, whilst on the Goodyears it is 66mph. So if I drive to the speedo, I will never break speed limits! I store the wheels on a pair of wheel trees. One tree is unstable with four tyres so I use two, which also allows me to use the tyres for light storage of items in the garage plus the original Karoq tyres are too heavy for me to lift high! The preference for cross-climate rather than winter tyres is that the latter perform best at temperatures below 7 degrees Celsius, whereas for the six months I use cross climates, the temperatures vary widely and I found them to provide excellent grip on snow, ice and mud on the Yeti. The 2WD Karoq will be a different matter on snow, so I'm looking forward to testing it when the snow arrives. I hope this answers you original query plus a bit.
Karoq SE L 1.5 TSi 150PS DSG business grey, front and rear dashcams, scuff plates, rubber mats, mud flaps, dog guard, spare wheel plus gunge and bottle jack and service pack.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I loathe the standard tyres on my Karoq. They have almost no grip off the line and spin at the slightest provocation. Despite that, they are absolutely fine when cornering. Anyway, I have Cross Climates on my Yeti and loved them under all conditions so I have been waiting for Continental to release the Cross Climates in Karoq size. At last, it seems that they have, but I doubt I will be buying any at the price Black Circles are quoting, almost three hundred quid a corner seems a little over the top to me :(

Have fun,

Ian.

Black Circles.JPG

Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post