WLan - help for Newby

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
Mel5454

Post by Mel5454 »

Hi,

In the top middle of my Amunden Info system is a coloured symbol next to the time. It appears to either show white or red (when white the letters WLan appear)

My understanding is that this is to do with the car's ability to act as a mobile hotspot.

Since we very seldom carry kids, or anyone who wishes to use a laptop etc, i don't think we have any use for using the car as a hotspot, and i would welcome some confirmation that my understanding is correct.

I do have a question however, yesterday we went for a 30 mile run, stopped for coffee and continued on - up to the time we stopped for coffee the light was white, however after starting again it was red, and stayed red for the rest of the journey.

I would imagine it is white when at home, as it senses the house wi-fi system, but i would have thought it should have turned red very soon after driving off.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

Mel5454
1.5 DSG SEL with electric seat etc

Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

The symbol is indeed telling you about the wireless internet connection. However, it is telling you the car is connected to the web so there is live traffic information on the nav system. If the car's wireless hot spot is in use this symbol needs to be white. but it does not tell you whether anything is actually connected to the internal hotspot, just that the ar has a connection to the web.

What I don't know is whether you had the option to have a dedicated SIM card in the car to allow the car to do the various clever things that it can, such as booking your service for you or making a call to the emergency services if you inadvertently park the car on its' roof. If you have this option, I think it will also use that web connection for the nav and hence could be white anytime that it can get a 3G or 4G link. I did not want that option (or the ongoing costs it brings with it) so simply tether the car to my cell phone on the rare occasions I use the sat nav or carry a passenger who wants the web as we travel.

Hope that helps,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
Jimmy of Whitby

Post by Jimmy of Whitby »

Hi Ian. Does the satnav need web access for nearest fuel station etc? Is the WLan any better than a Smart 'phone?
Karoq SE L 1.5 TSi 150PS DSG business grey, front and rear dashcams, scuff plates, rubber mats, mud flaps, dog guard, spare wheel plus gunge and bottle jack and service pack.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

No and no.

Just tech for techs sake.

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670