Auto Hold Issues

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
chrispbits

Post by chrispbits »

Referring to my recent posts about hesitant DSG issues further testing over the weekend has identified the auto-hold function as the culprit. I found a quiet industrial estate and did a series of runs simulating pulling out into fast moving traffic at roundabouts and junctions and also the same assuming very light to moderate traffic. The essential difference being the desired speed of pulling out.

For assumed fast traffic I found that with auto-hold engaged there was an excessive pause (1-2 seconds) between putting the foot down and the car moving forward. There was often a strong surge in movement and the initial pause accompanied by high revs (3000+). This was easily reproduced using four separate runs. The criteria being - car to a full stop and heavy use of the accelerator to move away.

For assumed light traffic I found that with auto-hold engaged there was no significant pause between putting the foot down and the car moving forward. Reproduced over four separate runs. The criteria in this case - car to a full stop then light to medium use of the accelerator to pull away.

I also used a mix of auto-stop engaged or disengaged with no significant difference between the two. The car was fully warmed up throughout. Gear driving mode normal throughout.

It seems that this is a long standing problem - the earliest reference I saw (in a Golf) was 2016 and that currently there is no known fix (spoke to the dealer at length this morning). The simple remedy is not to use auto-hold until a fix becomes available.
Karoq SE L 1.6 TDI DSG in Business Grey
Usual SE L stuff plus leather seats and spare wheel

Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Hi Chris(?)

I have not experienced the issue you describe. However, I tend to leave the auto-hold on all the time but have a habit of manually releasing the parking brake, just as I would with a conventional handbrake. Did you try that?

As a matter of interest, have you tried the launch control system?

(From page 207 of the manual)

Accelerate to maximum speed when starting (launch control function)
The launch control function is available in mode S or Tiptronic.
› Disable the TCS » page 210, Braking and stabilisation systems.
› Fully depress and hold the brake pedal with your left foot.
› Fully depress the accelerator pedal with your right foot.
› Release the brake pedal - the vehicle is running at maximum acceleration.

Does that get you out of the junction faster? I have to confess that I have never tried this (It is not really compatible with my driving style) but it could help you.

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
chrispbits

Post by chrispbits »

Hi Ian, I tend to hold the car using the brake pedal (left foot) then release and accelerate as needed with the right foot. It's a version of launch control but without the excitement. I have heard of launch control but confess I struggle to identify a need unless drag racing and I won't be doing that in the Karoq any time soon.

Fortunately my last car didn't have auto hold so not having it switched on doesn't present a problem. Incidentally I did read in Honest John's long term ownership reviews that their XC60 has a similar problem.

Regards,
Chris
Karoq SE L 1.6 TDI DSG in Business Grey
Usual SE L stuff plus leather seats and spare wheel
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Chris/Ian,
I use the auto hold most of the time in town and I must admit I have never needed to 'shoot' off from stationary and with normal (car in front of me) type take off at lights I find it even smoother than just holding the car on the foot brake with engine OFF (as in stop/go mode).
If I get the chance of a rapid take off with nothing in front of me, I'll let you know!
As far as 'Launch Control' is concerned , try it once , as I did on the Kodiaq, but DO NOT make a habit of it (why would you??) as IMHO it will do your transmission no good at all!.
I cannot understand the stupidity of Skoda making it available. Those that want to treat their investment with such violent driving would surely buy a sports car not a SUV?
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Well, I've tried a rapid departure from stationary with the autohold on and the engine OFF (stop/go)
it made no difference to the delay whether it was in ECO or standard, I didn't actually use a stopwatch but I reckon it was over 1 second and under 2.
No jerks, quite smooth, just the slight lag.
30mph =44 feet so as long as you can judge 88 feet for the car bearing down on you, and assuming he is actually doing 30 as you wait to pull out of a T junction you should be ok. ;)
Personally shall wait for a MUCH bigger gap :lol:
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post