What annoys you about your Karoq?

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

sanqhar wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:28 pm Why can’t it coast in normal drive mode. That’s the main reason I use Eco.

Tom
Does coasting actually save any fuel? An injected engine will shut off fuel completely when on the over-run and so use nothing, but if it is coasting the car will need to use fuel to prevent the engine stalling. I am sure the engineers at VW are not daft, but I am both curious and confused.

I used the car in eco mode pretty much full time for the first 1000 miles but cannot honestly say I noticed an increase in fuel consumption when I took to leaving it in normal.

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670

Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

What annoys me most? There are a few things (in no particular order):
  • That garbage switch for the mirror heaters; why no light to tell you they are on? (Alternatively, the mirror heaters could be linked to the front or rear screen heater or on a timer that switched them off after a preset time).
  • The sat nav's habit of trying to divert me off roads just to bring me back on to them a few yards further up.
  • The reflection of the air vents in the side windows.
  • The ridiculously fragile covers for the electrical connections under the rear seats. Typically the seats are folded or removed because people want to put something big and/or heavy in the back; those covers will break if you sneeze too close to them.
  • Kessy; I have no need for a system that can only reduce the security of the vehicle
  • The software bug that leaves the main display showing eco or Sport mode when the car is restarted, even though the car has reset to normal.
  • The awful colour scheme of the original speedo and rev counter which makes them almost unreadable unless the lights are on (fixed on the second model year cars)
I am sure there are other niggles, however, as a package it is a great car despite the above; a far better car than the yeti it replaced even though it lacks the personality of the previous car.

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Milfmog wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:52 pm
sanqhar wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:28 pm Why can’t it coast in normal drive mode. That’s the main reason I use Eco.

Tom
Does coasting actually save any fuel? An injected engine will shut off fuel completely when on the over-run and so use nothing, but if it is coasting the car will need to use fuel to prevent the engine stalling. I am sure the engineers at VW are not daft, but I am both curious and confused.

I used the car in eco mode pretty much full time for the first 1000 miles but cannot honestly say I noticed an increase in fuel consumption when I took to leaving it in normal.

Have fun,

Ian.
I ran my Kodiaq in 'ECO' for a time and could not honestly say that it improved consumption.
I am at the moment running in 'ECO' in my 4x4 and am consciously making it freewheel whenever I can.
I'll do this for about a week and then revert to 'normal' and see what, if any, the difference is.

Basically I agree with Ian, I can't really see how coasting with the engine on tickover is anymore advantageous than running with the injection system closed down apart from enough to stop the engine stalling.

I am firmly of the belief that motor manufacturers have been 'suckered' in by various governments to shut the 'Green whingers' up. by putting pointless tech into cars as a sop to saving the planet. To wit..... start stop & eco mode.
I gather that some manufacturers are beginning to drop stop start and many do not have eco mode. Roll on the day!! :D
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
mikaroq

Post by mikaroq »

One more from me - useless rain gutters resulting in constant dripping into the car if I want the window slightly open and it is raining (although same can probably be said of most modern cars...)
Karoq Edition 1.5 TSI DSG in Business Grey with towbar, auto light assist and heated front and rear seats.
AliM

Post by AliM »

The fact I haven't actually received my Karoq yet is fairly annoying. I am sure when I do receive it there will be a few minor annoyances, but I'm sure I will love it.
chrispbits

Post by chrispbits »

Garbage switch for the mirror heaters? I hadn't realised there was one! I thought the mirror heaters must be linked to front or rear window demist or both. That explains the indifferent clearing of my mirrors the other day. Will now search for the switch.

On a recent drive to and from North Wales my Satnav tried to take me off the M6 on the way to Wales and off the A14 on the way back. There was no blockage on either occasion with traffic either moderate or very light. If I had followed instructions it would have added quite a bit of time for my journey.

By far my biggest irritation with the Karoq is the DSG. Under certain conditions the changing of the gear appears to be done by committee with an eventual decision leaving one to wonder if the car will ever move and a realisation that the gap in the traffic that you were aiming for is now considerably smaller. On four occasions on my North Wales trip I was caught out on roundabouts having come to a brief stop then foot down - much noise but very little action. A definite pause of around a second or two before gears engaged and off we went. Not sure if this behaviour is a particular characteristic of my engine(1.6TDI)/DSG combination or a general characteristic of the DSG. Anyone else with a DSG experiencing this?
Karoq SE L 1.6 TDI DSG in Business Grey
Usual SE L stuff plus leather seats and spare wheel
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Not or me. Perhaps a word with your dealer?
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
mikaroq

Post by mikaroq »

Not me either for the DSG, although am petrol. Have also just picked up car after 1st service and although it was only a short journey back the whole gearbox / pulling away seemed far smoother and responsive. Will keep an eye on this over next few days and report back, as possibly a software update was applied???
Karoq Edition 1.5 TSI DSG in Business Grey with towbar, auto light assist and heated front and rear seats.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

chrispbits wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:15 am Garbage switch for the mirror heaters? I hadn't realised there was one! I thought the mirror heaters must be linked to front or rear window demist or both. That explains the indifferent clearing of my mirrors the other day. Will now search for the switch.
In case you have not found the switch, the mirror control rotates to allow selection of several different options; adjust left, adjust right, off, fold mirrors and heat mirrors. Because there is no light to indicate when the heaters are on it is very easy to forget and leave them on all the time (as my wife regularly does in her car...). This has been an irritation in many VW Group cars for a number of years.
By far my biggest irritation with the Karoq is the DSG. Under certain conditions the changing of the gear appears to be done by committee with an eventual decision leaving one to wonder if the car will ever move and a realisation that the gap in the traffic that you were aiming for is now considerably smaller. On four occasions on my North Wales trip I was caught out on roundabouts having come to a brief stop then foot down - much noise but very little action. A definite pause of around a second or two before gears engaged and off we went. Not sure if this behaviour is a particular characteristic of my engine(1.6TDI)/DSG combination or a general characteristic of the DSG. Anyone else with a DSG experiencing this?
I have never experienced a delay such as you describe in any of the DSG equipped cars I have driven. I'd be back at the dealers for a good moan if I were you.

Have fun,

Ian.
Last edited by Milfmog on Fri May 10, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

mikaroq wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:46 pm One more from me - useless rain gutters resulting in constant dripping into the car if I want the window slightly open and it is raining (although same can probably be said of most modern cars...)
A set of four Heko wind deflectors* cost me about twenty-five quid on Amazon when I got them, took about 10 minutes to fit and fixed this issue completely. They also allow me to leave the windows open a bit in hot weather to prevent heat build-up in the car, but without it being obvious that the windows are not shut. And, on the rare occasions that I leave the dogs in the car, the windows stay open a bit without rain getting in.

They may look "a bit grandad" but they serve a useful purpose.

Have fun,

Ian.

* They seem to have gone up somewhat since I bought mine but you may find them cheaper by shopping around. Micks Garage has been known to have some good deals on this kind of thing.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post