New Security rating for KESSY cars.

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

A new security rating for 'Kessy' cars has been undertaken.
Here are the top 56 most easily hackable.
Since the Kodiaq is listed, I think it is fair to assume that the Karoq will be similarly vulnerable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47655330

Kodiaq (number 27 in the above link.) Time for owners to buy a Faraday pouch. (I have one and YES they do work!)

OR........(From Briskoda) .
"For those that are concerned re security of keyless entry when you are at home. There is a way of deactivating it on a temporary basis. If you have downloaded the online manual it is page 58.
Lock the vehicle with the (lock) button on the key
within 5 seconds touch the sensor on the door handle with your finger
deactivation is confirmed by a single flash of the indicators
to check deactivation wait at least 10 seconds then pull on the door handle. The door remains locked.
Keyless entry is activated again after the door is unlocked using the unlock button on the key fob."

Amazing that Thatcham missed the above.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

This from Skoda.
The author must have been to the same course as MPs, on how NOT to answer a question.
A classic example of flimflam.

Following coverage in the press this morning about the KESSY keyless access characteristic of some ŠKODA vehicles, we are keen to reassure you and your customers that security measures against vehicle theft are a top priority for ŠKODA.

ŠKODA takes reports about the illegal use of radio link extenders very seriously and we continuously monitor vehicle thieves’ current methods very carefully, regularly and intensively exchanging information with regional and national police authorities.

Our locking and opening systems have been tested and approved in accordance with the statutory provisions.

System developments

In 2019, we will enhance the function further by introducing motion sensors, whereby keyless access is automatically disabled when the key is not in use. This feature is soon to be launched for all current vehicle types using KESSY access technology. We will update you on this closer to introduction.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I reckon that could be paraphrased as:

"Yeah, we know the system is crap, sorry, I mean vulnerable, but we don't want to say that. However, we are working on a fix even though it is not needed, honest)."

Let's hope they are better at fixing security vulnerabilities that they are at emission systems...

Have fun,

Ian.

PS Colin, both of your links appear to be broken
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Sorry, tried to correct above but it screwed it up. try these.........
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... B071ZGGRD1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47655330
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Cristaki

Post by Cristaki »

There is nothing wrong with the KESSY on the Karoq, its not susceptible to the man in the middle attack and no requirement to buy a pouch for the keys. Just leave the key in the house and try to open the vehicle. I was unable to open mine.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

I think you may missed the point. The piece of kit that the thieves uses AMPLIFIES the fob signal through the walls of the house, clones the fob's signal et voila .....car GONE!
My Dealer is enquiring of Skoda if de-activating KESSY (by first locking using fob button & then, within 5 seconds, you touch the pad on the door) it also stops the fob being cloned.
I'll post the answer here as soon as I have it.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
wakev

Post by wakev »

I have just bought two of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blocker-Blocki ... keys&psc=1

One for the key in use and the other for the spares, you can also put your contact less credit cards in there too :-)
Karoq 2lt TDi sportsline.
Previous 4 yeti's over 10 years
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Cristaki wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:28 pm There is nothing wrong with the KESSY on the Karoq, its not susceptible to the man in the middle attack and no requirement to buy a pouch for the keys. Just leave the key in the house and try to open the vehicle. I was unable to open mine.
If there was nothing wrong with KESSY security you can be darn sure that Skoda would not have gone to the trouble of writing the code necessary to allow you to disable it...

How big the threat is in the real world is a different question, maybe nobody will try to steal your car. However, the fact remains that any security system that is initiated by the car is less secure than a system that has to be initiated from the key.

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post