Canton Sound - harsh and overbright

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
CrunchieCat

Post by CrunchieCat »

I have the Canton sound system but the speakers sound harsh and overbright with slight distortion on strings and vocals. Anyone else notice this?

I emailed Canton but they were useless and said it's a Skoda issue. My Skoda dealer says they've never heard of this problem. Has anyone with this Canton system looked into what might be causing the poor sound? Is it the speakers, the crossovers, the amp, or all of them? The only part of the system I like is the subwoofer and the head unit. The rest can be replaced with better components if it fixes the problem. But will it? And who can do this for me?

Jimbologo

Post by Jimbologo »

I think it's just a rubbish system , I read reviews before and people said avoid so I just went with the standard system
PDriver40

Post by PDriver40 »

Somebody else on here( I can't remember who) said that the speakers on the higher spec cars were the same as used in the Canton system. In my humble opinion the sound from the DVD in my car is excellent. Crunchie Cat ,I'm not as well versed on the finer points of sound systems but If you upgrade your system I'd love to hear how you get on .
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I have to confess that I have never felt the need for a high-end audio system in a car. The acoustic environment in any car is poor at best, with high levels of ambient noise that will mask most of the subtleties of a good system. If you then recall that the sample rate of a CD is only 44KHz giving a maximum bandwidth of around 20K (with a very choppy signal at the higher end) and that most audio is recorded and produced for CD quality, there is rarely any value in trying to improve the standard system unless it is seriously poor or has insufficient output power.

I had a top of the range Bose setup in my last Volvo which had been fitted by the previous owner at a cost significantly higher than I paid for the car. Apart from a more powerful bass (big subwoofer under the boot floor), the sound was no better in practice unless I was parked. When I was moving I had to turn the bass right down or it vibrated the rearview mirror so much I could not see anything in it.

Since I usually use cars to get me from A to B, not to sit in and listen to music, I tend to think the money is better spent on a home sound system or an option that adds benefit to the car while it is moving. The salesman tried very hard to get me to upgrade to a Canton system (even offering me 50% discount on the upgrade). I put the cash towards the blind spot warning system (which I love).

YMMV.

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post