Tyres

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I have to confess that my Karoq does not feel anything like as surefooted as the Yeti it replaced. I could chuck the Yeti into a bend with an overdose of enthusiasm and always knew where it would go and when I was getting too close to the edge. I do not have the same confidence in the Karoq. I have noticed a far greater tendency to scrabble for grip under acceleration from rest than the yeti exhibited so am wondering whether it is poor tyres that are the issue rather than an inherent issue with the car design. Has anyone else had any thoughts about the tyres fitted by our friends at the factory?

I should note that I am not a heavy-footed boy racer and that both the Yeti and the Karoq are front wheel drive so the comparison between them is reasonable. Once the original rubber on the yeti wore out I replaced it with Michelin Cross Climates; very impressive.

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670

Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Mine 1.0L came with Hankook tyres as original fit and I do find them pretty noisy on some surfaces. My previous Yeti was a 4 x 4 so not a direct comparison but the OEM Pirellis and subsequent Cross Climates were much quieter. The Cross Climates gave a smoother ride too but I will need to wear out the Hankooks before I can change over
Grumpy. Karoq 1.0L SE in Business Grey previous Yeti owner
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

On rechecking the tyre pressures I found that I had 22.4 bar all round compared with the recommended pressure of 2.1 all around. Consequently, I have just reduced the tyre pressure by 0.3 bar all round to see if this helps. Give me a couple of days and I'll report back.

For the sake of transparency, I should note that I am running Bridgestone Touranzas on 18" rims.

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

mikaroq

Post by mikaroq »

Have you also tried the sports steering setting? Whilst I find normal good for most circumstances, the sport steering adds extra weight which is useful in strong winds or twisty roads, where I find it gives a much more predictable and confident response. I have set individual mode to be normal everything but with the sport steering setting.
Karoq Edition 1.5 TSI DSG in Business Grey with towbar, auto light assist and heated front and rear seats.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

The issue is not really with dynamic grip but with pull-away from rest, consequently, sport mode actually makes things worse by holding the lower gears and increasing the torque available at the wheels.

Lowering the tyre pressure does appear to have improved things a bit, but I still get some slippage, especially if the roads are damp or cold. I did try a "give it all it's got" launch yesterday and the tyres were scrabbling for about 50 yards. I could not get that much slip out of my 300BHP Volvo estate.

Have fun,

Ian.

mikaroq

Post by mikaroq »

Agree with you there, was thinking more about throwing it into a bend with an overdose of enthusiasm... That's where sports steering may help, if you have the option on the se-l to change that on its own.
Happy motoring 😀
Karoq Edition 1.5 TSI DSG in Business Grey with towbar, auto light assist and heated front and rear seats.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Yes, the SE-L has the individual mode. To be honest, I have not really fiddled with it, as I rarely get space to play silly beggars behind the wheel.

Have fun,

Ian.

TJJ

Post by TJJ »

Hi you said your Yeti was FWD as well, so I assume it was the 1.2 engine. I still have my 1.2 manual Yeti. And now a 1.5 dsg launch ed Karoq FWD. The Karoq engine is considerably more power full than the 1.2 Yeti yet both are basically the same weight. So the Yeti with less power on take off keeps planted and does not break grip (usually) the Karoq with an extra 30+ Kw and 75 more nm of torque can far more easily break away. I just take it a bit more easily on take off than with the 1.2 Yeti which needed far more oomff in 1st. The Yeti had only one steering setting than was just right but in normal on the Karoq its nice and light which I find great for round town and parking. I find sport holds gears too long but in individual I left gears as normal while steering in sport which gives good feedback and weight when driving at highway speed or twisty mountain roads. The eco mode gear changes are quite good for lazy economical driving but unfortunately the constant dropping into coasting with both clutches disengaged means too much running over the speed limit and its more economical to just take my foot off the pedal and let the engine do its fuel shutoff with NO fuel consumed instead of coasting at idle. TJ
Karoq 1.5 DSG Oz Launch Ed. Candy White 19"
My other car's a Yeti
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Ian,
As above, I assume your Yeti was 1.2 as were all 3 of mine. If so, bear in mind you had a 1.2. and the Karoq is 1.5
K is only 108 Kg heavier than Y.
Yeti 1.2 105 BHP has 75BHP per ton whereas the K has 92 BHP per ton.
I must admit that I also am not a boy racer, I find the grip of the K at least as good as the Y, but wheel spin, especially on taking off rapidly with any amount of lock applied is extreemly(sic) easy to do , even on a dry road. SWMBO drove the K for the first time yesterday, she is a very careful driver, and she managed without trying, to get 'axle tramp' pulling out onto a main road.
I am running on Michelin Primacy 3 (never heard of them!)
So your problem may be the Bridgestones??
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I had a 1.6 diesel Greenline II Yeti. So yes, the K is significantly more powerful but has near identical torque and weight. For comparison (figures from Parkers.co.uk)

Yeti 1.6 greenline II Diesel
Power 103 BHP
Torque 150 Nm
weight 1335 Kg

Karoq 1,5TSi
Power 147 BHP
Torque 250 Nm
Weight 1303 Kg (for the manual gearbox)

So I am still surprised by the difference in wheelspin.

Before the Yeti I has a succession of tuned Volvos; 300BHP 400NM and front wheel drive on two of them (the last one was AWD). The K spins its wheels on launch far more often and at much more gentle throttle inputs than the Volvos. I tend to agree that the issue is probably the tyres rather than anything inherent in the car and am hoping that the Michelin Cross Climates will be available in the right size for the Karoq by the time I wear out the Bridgestones (or get fed up with them). The Cross Climates were excellent on the Yeti under all conditions.

Have fun,

Ian.