Disconnecting battery

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
prospero

Post by prospero »

I'm going to be leaving the car for a few weeks, and so need to disconnect the battery. Presumably I can open the bonnet, lock the car and disconnect the battery. But there's a snag. Without the battery, how do I unlock the car to release the bonnet? There doesn't seem to be a mechanical lock. And leaving the bonnet ajar isn't a good idea - someone might close it!

Grateful for any suggestions.

vectis

Post by vectis »

See page 287 of the manual
prospero

Post by prospero »

Thank you.

Sadly, the printed manual I got with the car only has 251 pages.

I downloaded a pdf of the manual, but sadly page 287 concerns itself with the replacement of wiper blades.

But there is something on P285 which looks useful, and I will try that.
vectis

Post by vectis »

It was page 287 on the manual I downloaded.
probinson530

Post by probinson530 »

Rather than disconnecting the battery why not fit a solar trickle charger.
Currently 2018 Karoq 1.5 Edition and 2007 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport.
Previously 1.4 Octavia Elegance Estate and 2.0 TDI Superb Elegance Estate.
prospero

Post by prospero »

It's going to be indoors.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Thank you for pointing me to the manual - altho it wasn't quite on the page you gave me, it was close.

I tried what they suggested.

The cover to the manual key is a rather flimsy piece of metal? plastic? which when I tried to open it as suggested in the manual, popped off and shot across the garage. Be wary if you try this at home.
Janse

Post by Janse »

Why do you want to disconnect the battery. I have never done that when I left the car for holiday a few weeks. And I have never had problems.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I may be leaving it for three months or more.
wiggie35

Post by wiggie35 »

Welcome everyone; I am new to the Forum. WARNING: I have recently had an unfortunate incident with my Skoda Karoq 1.5 DSG Edition right-hand drive (delivered 25-May-2018). I have reported the matter to Skoda and am awaiting a response. I left my cooler connected in the boot over night which flattened the battery (power to the 12V socket does not cease when the ignition is switched off). No problem: I have a set of 'jump leads' in the boot (stowed in the spare wheel compartment) and I know how to open the driver's door with the key. I opened the driver's door but to my surprise none of the other doors or the boot would open; consequently, I could not gain access to the jump leads. This resulted in a call to my breakdown provider. The reader my be wondering why I did not call 'Skoda Help'. Well, the documents with the contact number was, yes you have guessed, in the boot. Never mind, the bonnet catch is mechanical so I will open it ready for the breakdown service. Err no. The bonnet release, located on the passenger side, will not open UNLESS the door can be opened. Next call: dealership where car was obtained. Mechanic advised that I carefully pull the bonnet release catch out from the passenger foot well side panel which should just allow the lever to operate. As the lever is made of brittle plastic, I had firm expectations of the lever breaking. In the event, it didn't and I was able to open the bonnet. The jump start took 30 seconds; the wait for the breakdown 90 minutes + phone calls + rest of the day worrying the car would not re-start for lack of a full charge. I am awaiting advice from SKODA on how to open the bonnet in situations when the passenger door cannot be opened eg parked next to a wall; some other driver has parked so close the door cannot be opened; and of course when there is no power to the door. So think very carefully before disconnecting the battery!!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post