To GAP or not to GAP...

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
slider

Post by slider »

Hello,

About to get a new Karoq, do I go for GAP insurance or not?

If I do, do I buy the dealer GAP or get a 3rd party GAP?

Any help greatly received ;)

Slider

bone_tone

Post by bone_tone »

I researched it when I bought my Karoq, 3rd party GAP insurance was over £300 cheaper than the dealer version.

I still decided against it though, as my car insurance replaces with a new car if written off in the first 12 months.
Skoda Karoq 1.5TSI SE L Capuccino Beige
slider

Post by slider »

Thanks bone_tone.
probinson530

Post by probinson530 »

I have taken out a 3 year GAP policy mainly because I have bought the car on a PCP. Check 3rd party insurer costs and then negotiate with the dealer. They are always keen to sell GAP and so will always negotiate a better total package price for trade in, car and extras with GAP. The package cost will generally be better than that for trade in, car and extras using 3rd party GAP providers if you negotiate hard enough.
Currently 2018 Karoq 1.5 Edition and 2007 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport.
Previously 1.4 Octavia Elegance Estate and 2.0 TDI Superb Elegance Estate.
Womanofkent

Post by Womanofkent »

A couple of points not all insurance companies give new for old within the first 12 months we are with LV and they don't . it seems to be one of the benefits that companies have reduced so do check as we were surprised.

The gap cover we were offered through our Skoda dealer was £399 for 3 years, I searched a lot and took out a 4 year policy with Total Gap ( Auquitas) for £208.95. This policy is the highest pay out of; PCP /finance should you have it, invoice cost or replacement cost. The Skoda policy was only invoice cost or finance so if your car is written off after 2 years and Skoda have put up the price of the Karoq you will have to make up the difference.

I looked into vehicle monitoring systems ie Tracker type devices and having recently spoken to my local traffic police who said if their car was stolen they wouldn't want it back due to the way a thief drives it and the systems being so expensive I decided GAP was the best option.
Karoq 1.5 TSI DSG Edition, Quartz Grey, towbar, heated windscreen and nozzles since 1 Feb 2018 new to the Skoda brand
Jimbologo

Post by Jimbologo »

I paid £349 from my Skoda dealer for 3 years .
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Just been quoted £360 by Skoda for new Karoq SE which we pick up on Saturday all being well. Agree with previous post - wouldn't want back if stolen
Grumpy. Karoq 1.0L SE in Business Grey previous Yeti owner
Womanofkent

Post by Womanofkent »

Forgot to say our GAP is for a Karoq 1.5 dpg Edition with extras of towbar and heated windscreen & nozzles. Just over £29000 invoice price as they asked for price less discounts but as it covers replacement vehicle it doesn't really matter to me.
Karoq 1.5 TSI DSG Edition, Quartz Grey, towbar, heated windscreen and nozzles since 1 Feb 2018 new to the Skoda brand