1.5 Edition First Impressions

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
probinson530

Post by probinson530 »

Today I have picked up my 1.5 Edition and have driven for about 10 miles on motorway and country roads these are my first impressions when compared with my 1.4 Octavia Elegance Estate.

Ride - greatly improved ride over poor surfaces, smoother and quieter. However softer suspension means more body roll in corners.

Controls - auto handbrake works well, however "A" symbol to turn it on and off all too easily confused with "A" symbol for turning engine stop/start off. Only realised I had turned auto hold brake off instead of stop/start when rolled back at traffic lights.

Engine - very smooth, quiet and good acceleration. Very quiet cruising at 70 mph.

Front Seats - very comfortable, good shape and not too hard. Lots of adjustment on drivers seat.

Boot space - noticeably less space than Octavia Estate, miss the various-flex boot floor.

Info-tainment - easy set up, paired with Samsung phone. Good display showing sat nav with both phone and music on Home screen.

The only negative I have is the speedo and tacho have light outer rings meaning it is not easy to read numerals. Doesn't appear that this can be changed in set up.
Currently 2018 Karoq 1.5 Edition and 2007 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport.
Previously 1.4 Octavia Elegance Estate and 2.0 TDI Superb Elegance Estate.

LeGlass

Post by LeGlass »

Thanks for the review, really helpful. I get my 1.5 petrol edition in June. I was a bit worried about having 19'' wheels, sounds like they are fine though. Can you stream music from your phone like Amazon prime or Spotify? I got plenty data so that's not an issue.
Ordered 1.5TSI DSG Edition in Magnetic Brown with beige leather interior, heated back seats and park assist.
vectis

Post by vectis »

LeGlass wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:21 pm Thanks for the review, really helpful. I get my 1.5 petrol edition in June. I was a bit worried about having 19'' wheels, sounds like they are fine though. Can you stream music from your phone like Amazon prime or Spotify? I got plenty data so that's not an issue.
I saw one the colour you have ordered at the dealers when I picked mine up it looked nice, at first glance I thought it was black, it is a very dark brown.
probinson530

Post by probinson530 »

LeGlass wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:21 pm Thanks for the review, really helpful. I get my 1.5 petrol edition in June. I was a bit worried about having 19'' wheels, sounds like they are fine though. Can you stream music from your phone like Amazon prime or Spotify? I got plenty data so that's not an issue.
I to was concerned about the 19" wheels as I had only driven an SEL with 18". 19" absolutely fine and coped with potholes better than the Octavia, definitely softer suspension.

You can stream music from your phone via Bluetooth and also connect via USB cable and use Android Auto. Not tried Android Auto yet, will set this up tomorrow. However I think Android Auto can only use music stored on your phone and you cannot select another album whilst on the move, this is a safety restriction imposed by Android Auto.
Currently 2018 Karoq 1.5 Edition and 2007 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport.
Previously 1.4 Octavia Elegance Estate and 2.0 TDI Superb Elegance Estate.
Michael_G

Post by Michael_G »

I use Android Auto extensively on our current Yeti, shortly to be p/x for our Karoq. Should be next week.

Like Apple's CarPlay, AA is auto safety optimised, in that control is handed to the car, via touch, switch, or voice. The phone itself effectively goes into a locked mode, displaying only Android Auto in white text on a black background.

Here's a pic, with Waze running on the car.

In nav, AA supports Google Maps and Waze. In audio, Spotify, GP Music etc. You aren't restricted to content *on* the phone. Via the menu, you can run AA "behind" normal Radio, SD card etc, or "in front" - I assume karoq will be the same.

I love it. Saved £600 compared to the built-in nav option on the current car, and offers more functionality. Got us to Lake Como in 2016, including right into the centre of Milano.

DSC_3544.JPG

Mike
Had 11 plate Yeti 1.2tsi DSG
Got 16 plate Yeti 1.2tsi DSG to be p/x
For 1.0 tsi DSG Karoq
Michael_G

Post by Michael_G »

PS - meant to say, you can choose/change your content on the go. You just have to do it from the car, not the phone.
Mike
For 1.0 tsi DSG Karoq
Womanofkent

Post by Womanofkent »

The only negative I have is the speedo and tacho have light outer rings meaning it is not easy to read numerals. Doesn't appear that this can be changed in set up.

We have ours set up so the middle part of the dash shows the speed in large numbers I find that so much easier to read and more accurate.

You can adjust interior lighting brightness and colour in the settings not sure if this would help.

We have had issues with the Bluetooth playing music, it seems that it will allow 2 phones to be set up to use Bluetooth for the phone and instantly connects when I get in the car if husband is not there however if I set up to play music then my husband can't when he gets in the car, salesman told us that this has been an issue since they changed the Skoda chassis type several years ago. Anyone else managed to get this to work would be interested to hear.
Karoq 1.5 TSI DSG Edition, Quartz Grey, towbar, heated windscreen and nozzles since 1 Feb 2018 new to the Skoda brand
Michael_G

Post by Michael_G »

Our two phones are set up to work with BT as we get in. Either will handle an incoming call via the car. Only the one showing as "active" will make an outgoing call. We just switch the driver's phone as the active device. Haven't tried BT'ing music as we play ours from the SD card or stream from AA.

This is on our current Yeti. I'm assuming it'll work the same way when we pick up our Karoq next week.
Mike
For 1.0 tsi DSG Karoq