SEL vs Edition

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
wombat

Post by wombat »

I have almost decided to buy a Karoq but am still thinking about the specification.

I had settled on an SEL, but after sitting in the Edition had second thoughts.
  • Seats. I wasn't surprised that the electric seats could adjust into a better position by raising the front of the seat as well as the rear. Coming from a Kuga, I liked the higher driving position. What did surprise me is that the lumbar support used to be better. In the SEL, it seemed to be a little too high and not quite the right shape. In the Edition, it was just right. Am I imagining it? If not, is this just the electric adjustment or does having leather make a difference?
  • Columbus vs Amundsen. I understand Columbus has some extra features. Does it also sound better? That is, does it have a better DAC and/or amplifier? I'm probably going to take the Canton Sound system, but have heard it only in the Edition. Is that noticeably better than the SEL?
  • Powered tailgate - any negatives
  • Sunroof - does the cover block out all the light/heat or does the sun make the car much hotter (perhaps no one in the UK yet knows!)
  • I don't see much value to me in bigger wheels and not yet for the wireless charging. Is there anything I have missed in the Edition spec that makes much difference to anyone?
Thanks very much for any and all replies.

vectis

Post by vectis »

The canton sounds much better in my Karoq with the columbus than it did in my Octavia with I think the Amundson unit.
probinson530

Post by probinson530 »

Firstly seat, having had electric seats on a previous Superb there is definitely a better range of adjustment to find the most comfortable position. Never been totally happy with the non-electric seats on my current Octavia and this in fact swayed my decision to choose the Edition version on my Karoq. You also get heated seats on the Edition which actually help ease any back ache on a long journey.

Columbus sat nav is better and you also get a CD player which isn't on the Amundsen.

We have an optional electric tailgate on our Octavia and would never go back to manual. My wife struggled with the manual tailgate on the Superb.

Others - Lane Assist and Blind spot detection.

Metallic colours are a no cost option on Edition whereas they an additional £555 on SEL.

If like me you purchase on a PCP then there is no much difference in monthly payments because of higher residual value of Edition.
Currently 2018 Karoq 1.5 Edition and 2007 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport.
Previously 1.4 Octavia Elegance Estate and 2.0 TDI Superb Elegance Estate.
vectis

Post by vectis »

You get a dvd player as well as the cd player.
wombat

Post by wombat »

Thanks very much for comments so far.

Having talked to the dealer today, the lumbar support is different with electric seats - it pumps up an airbug instead of pushing out an imperfectly shaped solid lump. It makes quite a difference to me. Of course, adding these expensive options to the SEL doesn't make a lot of financial sense - they seem to be priced to push buyers towards the Edition.

I'd like the Columbus - a CD player is a nice-to-have, but I wouldn't pay much for it. A better Sat-Nav may be worth paying for - it depends if it is enough better that I won't mount my phone to be able to use Waze or Tom-Tom given Apple's restrictions on Carplay.

I'm just a bit worried the 19 inch wheels won't help the ride and the types will cost more, that the powered tailgate means I can't control the speed it goes up and down (that's a minor worry) and that the glass roof will make the car hotter.

This will be a cash sale, but the Edition probably makes more sense than adding Electric seats (£950 with lighting) and certainly more sense than adding Columbus as well.

Thanks for pointing out Lane Assist and Blind Spot Detection - I missed those.

I'll probably have one more test drive and make up my mind - at present I'm thinking I will go for the Edition.
Womanofkent

Post by Womanofkent »

Hi we have had our edition since 1st Feb and are very happy.

With regards to the glass roof there is a cover that is electrically operated that you can cover the roof if it is a hot day and we found you can stop it half way if the rear passengers find it too hot but you want the glass roof in the front half. We have the black seat option but the top half of the car interior is a light grey and the cover matches and so just looks like roof has normal lining.

With regards to the electric tailgate; there is a button on the drivers side door to operate it, or on the key or you touch just above the number plate. If you operate from the key or from the interior it beeps to warn people it is opening. I don't find it opens particularly fast, you also have the opportunity to stop it going too high by pressing the button on the roof as it is rising, for example if you park in an underground low car park. It can also be set so that it always opens to that height.

If you want some of the safety features and would add them as extras I think it is financially better to go for the edition. Husband has tested the lane assist on the motorway and it does keep the car between the lines even when the road bends. Blind spot assist notifications are very noticeable haven't tested the reversing out of a space where it stops if something is coming (not sure of technical name!)

Any more questions please ask happy to help.
Karoq 1.5 TSI DSG Edition, Quartz Grey, towbar, heated windscreen and nozzles since 1 Feb 2018 new to the Skoda brand
supreme

Post by supreme »

Just for thought amundsen vs columbus and my take why i choosed amundsen.

1. Canton speakers are EXACTLY the same for both there is no difference whatsoever.
2. If you use smartphone a lot especially with full mirrorlink supported phone then you can use that for video or music player.
Ther are guides how to do that.
3. Built in satnav is not good. It is actually quite bad compared to 3rd party what smartphone can do. Its only good if you cant use smartphone or dotn have connection at some places
4. Amundsen already has second SD card slot. You can put there as much music you want. I personally use that i dont even think i would ever use cd anyway. Second thing is phone bluetooth that can be also used for music listening.
5. Amundsen has 2 knobs for fast and easy volume or satnav zoom in our out while columbus you have to use touchchreen for that which is more annoying.
6. With columbus you get dvd-player if you want to watch some dvd. Soem families might use that other than that hardly usable.
Also you get bit bigger screen and hand gesture if that would work all the time :) Takes time to get used to.
Waggy1971

Post by Waggy1971 »

I had the same issues on deciding .. Ended up going with the sel with the better ride feel on the smaller wheels but got quite a few extras.. But didnt want the sunroof.. So sel with extras is configured with all i wanted without some of the standard edition bits i didnt
Karoq SE L 2.0 DSG 4x4 - heated seats / windscreen / washjets - towbar - park assist - power boot - Assistance pack - Light Assist / light & Rain Assist - park assist with steering assist - LED Lighting pack - Quartz Grey
MASS1

Post by MASS1 »

Both cars are really well equipped and look good. However, in the end I settled on the SEL and added a couple of options including full leather which at £250 seemed like a bargain. The main items on the Edition spec that I didn’t care for (and wouldn’t want to be paying extra for) were the 19 inch wheels, powered tailgate and panoramic roof. All three of these are expensive on their own and probably explain the bulk of the difference in list price between the two models.
wombat

Post by wombat »

The Columbus is also very expensive and the lane assist / blind spot assist is expensive. Apart from leather seats, most of the options that are standard on the Edition seem expensive, while others like adaptive cruise control and heated front seats seem quite attractively priced. Presumably, they are trying to convince customers the Edition is a brilliant deal and to reduce the number of custom builds.

In the end, I also ordered an SEL with several options. Predicted as build week 25.