Tow bar

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
Lineman

Post by Lineman »

Apologies also for late response, but I've only recently become a Karoq owner. We'd been contemplating a Karoq for several months and when we went to have a look at one in the flesh, it just so happened that the local dealer had had one delivered that was pretty-much exactly what we were looking for. We really wanted a tow-bar for carrying bikes, so we had to pay an arm and a leg for a drop-down one to be fitted by the dealer; it is expensive because it has to be booked as a 7hr job.
The drop-down tow-bar is simplicity itself to operate - you can do it with one hand, in the dark, with no grovelling about on the floor. When I demonstrate it to friends, the blokes are very impressed, and the women go all giggly for some reason! :lol: :oops:

We bought an Atera Strada DL tow-bar mounted bike rack about 8 years ago from 'Roofbox' and have used it on my previous Mondeo and Astra estates. The rack has a 13-pin socket, so had to be fitted with a 13 to 7 converter for the earlier cars; I didn't need the converter for the Karoq. At the time when we bought the bike rack, we didn't know that we would be ultimately getting a brace of electric bikes which are heavier and a tad bigger than regular bikes. Fortunately, the Strada DL will take up to 47kg - and while the combined weight of the two e-bikes is about on the limit, we can help by removing the batteries before we set off. I believe slightly beefier bike racks are available that hold the bikes a few cms further apart. I mention this because bike racks have weight-carrying specifications and, when purchasing one, it is worthwhile considering possible changes in future use - especially as electric bikes are becoming more popular all the while.

Dalesman

Post by Dalesman »

Hi Guys

New to the board, so please be gentle :D

I currently have a Yeti fitted with a removable Witter tow bar, which tbh is a faff to put on and off, so it stays on the car most of the time.

I'm about to make the move over to the Karoq and like the idea of the drop down tow bar ( i'm not getting any younger :lol: ). Not placed an order as yet but leaning towards the SE L 1.5 TSI with DSG box.
I am test driving the model this coming week, so if all goes well i could be placing the order, but before i do, can i ask you guys what may seem a silly question, but does the Skoda fitted drop down tow bar come pre-wired to run the charging and fridge circuits and i would assume programmed accordingly? did ask the salesman but he gave me a rather vacant look :roll:

I've looked at the Witter bars and they come in around £750 mark once you have it fitted, electrics and re-programming, so not too overly expensive to add the original tow bar to the order and have a snazzy little party trick :D .
Womanofkent

Post by Womanofkent »

Welcome Dalesman we are a friendly bunch so don't be afraid to ask questions.

We have the drop down tow bar fitted at the factory if you look at page 2 of this thread I posted photos of the connections as someone else was asking, we don't actually tow (it was a dealer ordered Karoq) so if you can't see what you want then if you explain what I should be looking for I'll have a look.
@Doogle69 may help you with your question as he has towed a caravan with his SE L 1.5 DSG Karoq.
Karoq 1.5 TSI DSG Edition, Quartz Grey, towbar, heated windscreen and nozzles since 1 Feb 2018 new to the Skoda brand
Dalesman

Post by Dalesman »

Well after test driving the car i was very impressed with the quality, downside was that if i wanted the factory fitted tow bar it would have to be a new car order from the factory, which according to the dealer could run into problems due to a thing called Brexit.........To cut a long story short The dealer arranged for a TT removable swan neck tow bar to be fitted complete with 13 pin electrics for £525 to a 1.5 TSI DSG SE L in Quartz Grey stock car.
Well pleased.
HappyMacDaddy

Post by HappyMacDaddy »

Hi Everyone,

Just about to order a Karoq 1.6TDI Manual SE TECHNOLOGY with the Electrically folding tow bar with adaptor option as its the only way my good lady will let me have a tow bar as it sounds so easy to use.

The only thing I will be using it for is for my family 4 bikes (3 adult mountain bike and 1 Gravel Bike) but the nose weight is only 56kg for this model according to the specifications. When I asked my local dealer, he said don't worry it will take upto 80kg no problem even when I pointed out the printed specs in the brochure.

I even phoned Skoda UK for advice and they where not much help either.

Sorry for going on, I just don't want to get the wrong tow bar and I really hope the electrically folding one can work for us as a family.

Has anyone used a 4 bike carrier on this tow bar and have any pictures?

Loving the forum so far and the amount of friendly people and useful information is so refreshing :)

Thanks in advance.
mikaroq

Post by mikaroq »

I've done 3 bikes on the back no problem at all (total bike weight around 53kg plus 15kg carrier). Car was very stable. I read in the handbook the nose weight limit is 75kg btw
Karoq Edition 1.5 TSI DSG in Business Grey with towbar, auto light assist and heated front and rear seats.
Mayor99

Post by Mayor99 »

Greetings. I am new to the Skoda brand. Enjoying owning the Karoq

We were looking to fit a tow bar to our (new to us) 2019 Karoq SEL 1.5 petrol DSG. The local Skoda Garage informed me that to fit a tow bar would cost over £1100. Without any bike racks. I wonder if this is most owners experience? We have 2 E-bikes so need a carrying payload of 60Kl. Alternatively we could try and fit them into the car itself. But reluctant to do this for fear of damaging both car and bikes. Any advice most welcomed

Mayor99.
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

Seems to be in the right area for the electric one with the button in the boot. I think these are the only ones dealers fit.

tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
38T

Post by 38T »

I’ve been quoted £1596 for towbar plus cooling upgrade (new fan and grill).