4x4 button

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
BarryC

Post by BarryC »

My understanding is that my car will automatically drop into AWD mode if it needs to in order to retain traction if possible. Yet it also has a separate 4x4 button I can press, and enter 4x4 mode. Is that an override, so I can force it into 4x4 mode even if the car's computer thinks it doesn't need to?
Skoda Karoq 2020 SE L 2.0 Diesel 150 PS DSG 4x4

BarryC

Post by BarryC »

I can't edit my original post to correct my mistake, but I should have said "Off Road" button, not 4x4 button.
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

The Off Road button puts the car into its 'Off Road mode. This works at a speed up to 18mph, and its function can be divided into three main groups: start and traction support, braking support, and steep downhill support. When it’s activated, all the related assistance systems are switched into a special setting suitable for off-road driving. The infotainment panel can then display useful data such as the angle of rotation of the wheels, the compass, or the altimeter.

I also have a Snow mode which can be activated via the Mode button. This This mode changes how the assistant systems behave so that they help the driver as much as possible on low-adhesion surfaces. The ABS anti-lock braking system, for example, allows for more wheelspin when braking to allow snow to accumulate in front of the tyres to increase the braking effect (the “wedge effect”). In turn, the anti-skid system allows for greater wheel rotation for better grip on winter tyres. The transmission shifts to higher gears at lower speeds than usual, and the accelerator pedal responds more slowly so as to prevent the wheels from jumping into spin with the added torque. The steering also becomes heavier (as in Sport mode.)

Neither of them specifically say that they will enforce four wheel drive as far as I can see.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
BarryC

Post by BarryC »

Thanks for that, very interesting, especially the Snow Mode (which mine has) exploiting the wedge effect.

We are getting ourselves another caravan shortly. We used to have a 2 ltr Mondeo, which towed very well except why trying to negotiate a surface that lacked really good grip. Even wet grass, especially if even slightly muddy, was a total no-no. No end of times had to have the whole outfit towed out by the site owner's tractor! Very much hoping this Karoq will improve our chances of not needing to be towed out, other than in fairly extreme conditions.

Is there a particular Modes that is recommended for towing?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post