Area View feature in the Skoda Karoq?

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
paulukkar

Post by paulukkar »

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a Karoq in the next few months. I've test driven it a couple of times and it's perfect for what we need.
There's just one thing I'm a bit confused about, the Area View feature, this is the top down 360degree parking assist camera. I test drove a few other brands of cars that had this feature and was curious whether Karoq would have it as well.

From reading a few articles, I can see it mentioned in a few press releases in 2001 and it's mentioned a few times on Skoda's own UK website:

Page 3 of this overview of safety assistance features
https://www.skoda.co.uk/discover/safety ... ms-parking

This was the initial news release I read where it's mentioned briefly about ¾ down the page (on the last sentence of the Safety paragraph).
https://www.skoda.co.uk/news/details/th ... oq-is-here

I asked about it at our local showroom but they were convinced this feature was for the Kodiaq only and not for the Karoq.
I'm really confused, can anyone advise if this feature ever made it to UK Karoqs? And if so, is there a specific trim, an additional pack or anything I need to ask about to get this feature equipped?

Appreciate any help you guys are able to provide.

Thanks!

CJJE

Post by CJJE »

Skoda UK added Area View as an option for the MY 21 Karoq in September 2020 (I think for £590 on the SE L, Sportline and Edition trims.) It had previously been offered on the Kodiaq and SEAT Ateca so there was no technical reason for it not being available before, and I'd suggest it was just Skoda UK trying to differentiate between the Karoq and Kodiaq. When it was announced, I immediately had it added to the spec for my Karoq Sportline which was then awaiting a build date.

It was also offered as an option for MY22 cars (from September 2021), but has not been offered for the facelifted Karoqs which came along in Spring 2022.

I love it, as it also has a front-facing camera which can help you see cars approaching you as you nose out from a drive between hedges. But I think you'll be very lucky to find a used car with it fitted as most will probably be the standard factory spec. I added this and the dynamic chassis control to mine (along with a 5 year warranty) because the extra costs are less important when you plan to keep a car for years as I do.

Good luck!!

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
paulukkar

Post by paulukkar »

Thanks Chris, that's all really helpful.

So if I'm reading that right, there's a narrow window where people could have added Area View as an optional addition (Model Years 21 and 22) and then the facelifted Karoqs came along in Spring 2022 with no options.
So that means my window is between September 2020 and Spring 2022 and the hope that someone paid the extra £590 to add the Area View and they now have it up for sale. That does soud like a very limited opportunity for me to get one used!
I'll have a look and see if I can get lucky at all.

Thanks for your explanation though Chris, been trying to figure out what's going on for ages.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Paul,
Check with your dealer.
Skoda have a habit of removing options without notice.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

As it was also an option in SEAT Atecas (their closely related version of the Karoq) you could also look at those. But be aware that test reports say that the suspension is more 'sporty' than the Karoq's, and personally I prefer the larger rear side window on the Karoq.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post