Amundsen SatNav

All Skoda Karoq related discussions
Survey

Post by Survey »

Collected my late 2022 Karoq SEL today. Struggled at first to input a destination town but eventually did this. However later tried to input another destination (nothing difficult and a large town) and there was obviously a problem with a satellite connection and just saw the 'hunting' spinner symbol. Just finding the screen to input an address was hard enough. On one screen I came to haphazardly just a line for inputting the address I discovered that if one inputs the town you cant then input the full address street name etc, And may I ask exactly how do you save a destination with a name? On our 2017 Yeti this was easy. On my 12 year old Mercedes it was simple and allowed a 7 digit postcode entry. Deleting entries almost impossible.

Ive looked in the manual- extremely poor instructions and icons that are illegible. Ive looked on utube unsuccessfully as all are for much older satnavs.

Help somebody please!

Survey

Post by Survey »

Ok. I did manage to input an address with the help of somebody complaining on Google! The icons to press are confusing. It looks as if one inputs the whole address and when that shows on the map screen one presses on what is the favourites icon on the left of the screen and then store the saved location with a selected name.

The satnav appears years out of date as addresses I was trying were several years built yet showing as missing. Our 2017 Yeti had a satnav, pathetic, but better than this one. Also 5 letter postcode only in 2023?? Unbelievable!
SkodaFan

Post by SkodaFan »

Survey

Collected my 2023 facelifted SEL on October 10th. Was previously using (in my Yeti) a somewhat outdated Garmin & was looking forward to having a built-in up to date SatNav. HAHA!

Have been struggling since then to fathom out the steps/procedures for inputting & saving destinations but with no success. As mentioned in previous posts (on this & other forums (fora?) the handbook that came with my car is not sufficiently comprehensive, frequently advising “Refer to online manual”. The (presumed) latest version on the website has no download links – it’s (sort of) fine for reading on a computer (pretty useless on a phone screen – far too small – for some - to be understandable), so no assistance there.

(Initial Post on Briskoda regarding lack of ‘accessible’ FULL manual & resulting problem of obtaining information

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/5 ... s-service/ )

After reading several forum posts (here & elsewhere) I’ve discovered that there are many disgruntled owners out there who share my thoughts on the latest technical efforts from Skoda, and I came across an article in Auto Express from 2021 (sorry – can’t find the link to post the URL) in which while VAG Group cars were generally well-rated, the common factor letting all down was (is) the infotainment system(s), the gist was that AE considered them to be ‘unfit for purpose’.

I gave up on trying to fathom the modus operandi of the built in SatNav and followed the examples of some other forum users & installed Android Auto & Waze on my mobile, connecting the phone by USB cable to the car. This worked for 3 or 4 weeks or so (also using Google Maps instead of Waze) but now the car is advising that there’s no phone connected – it then tells me I have a new voicemail & proceeds to relay, via the car’s speakers “This is the EE Voicemail service. You have no new messages” Pardon????

I shall be contacting the local branch of the dealer on Monday, asking if I can sit in the car while their (hopefully fully trained & competent) technician attempts to connect both my & my wife’s mobiles (for SatNav & full phone usage purposes) & hopefully give some help in getting to grips with the inputting & storing of destinations into the SatNav and/or sort out linking Android Auto & Waze on both phones so as to put a belt & braces situation in place (I always was the eternal optimist).

Apologies for the length of this post – a couple of final points:-
1 The car itself is meeting if not exceeding all expectations (sincerely hope that making that statement doesn’t put everything in a belly-up situation)

2 I’ll post an update once I’ve visited the dealer.
3 The dealer has had 11 years of business from me with the Yeti that preceded the Karoq & nearly 9 years for my wife’s Citigo. I have a pretty good relationship with them so I’m fairly optimistic !
4 I understand from a friend that the current generation of Infotainment units for VAG cars are made in France.
Survey

Post by Survey »

SkodaFan - I did manage to fathom inputting and saving a location on the satnav. Not at all easy and as you say the manual is totally useless
You would think VAG group would be totally embarrassed at the comments. Without a proper well written manual is a disgrace. The satnav nowhere near as good as that on our previous 2017 yeti, and that was poor..2033 and the satnav will not accept a postcode address at all and only offers only 5 digits instead of 7 that almost all other car sstnavs now use. Today I tried connecting to Google maps via my phone - much better but it just shouldn't be necessary. II do read of others having weird messages on screen etc for no reason. Just hope there is a permanent solution.
.I'm speaking to my dealer Monday but I'm sure I will be told that it is what it is.
IanW

Post by IanW »

I'm sure I can enter 7 digit postcodes into my Admunsen MIB3 system. I seem to recall there was a 'trick' to convince it it was in the UK, problem is its over a year since I did it and can't remember!. I'll see if I can find out what it was...
Survey

Post by Survey »

Thanks IanW. I couldn't believe that I couldn't input an address just using the postcode.
IanW

Post by IanW »

Ok, so I've just tested my system and I can definitely enter 7 digit postcodes. Had to make sure because I havent really used the built in satnav for a while now, I've been using Google maps via wireless android auto.
Anyway pictures below
First one shows a 7 digit postcode entry, 2nd one shows the address search screen
IIRC when I got the car it wouldnt accept 7 digits and I needed to 'set' the address search to UK. Touching the postcode icon on the top right switches between address and postcode searching.
I believe you need to initially select address searching and make sure country is set to UK. Thereafter it SHOULD accept 7 digit postcodes (without spaces) via the postcode input.
The list of possible addresses from the postcode search does seem to list all possibles from the first 5 digits but the main one shown is the actual 7 digit location

IMG_20230403_120137.jpg

IMG_20230403_121338.jpg

Survey

Post by Survey »

I did discover how to do this by going to entry page where it shows town/city rather than the address entry
. Then you enter the postcode. On the latest satnav it does NOT show PSTCD, you now just enter the postcode. Unbelievably hopeless car handbook.
IanW

Post by IanW »

Yes, the manuals are hopeless. I've worked in IT for 40 yrs and find the system completely unfriendly! The satnav is awful, its route selection is wrong sometimes. The directions are often very late i.e when you're almost at the turning!
Once my Skoda connect subscription ran out at 1yr, I just reverted to using google maps on my phone. Managed to get wireless android auto working ( although it seems to take a couple of minutes to connect sometimes ) and I now dont use the built-in satnav.
Survey

Post by Survey »

IanW wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:11 pm Yes, the manuals are hopeless. I've worked in IT for 40 yrs and find the system completely unfriendly! The satnav is awful, its route selection is wrong sometimes. The directions are often very late i.e when you're almost at the turning!
Once my Skoda connect subscription ran out at 1yr, I just reverted to using google maps on my phone. Managed to get wireless android auto working ( although it seems to take a couple of minutes to connect sometimes ) and I now dont use the built-in satnav.
So what do you use the Skoda connect for? What does it offer you rather than just the plain inbuilt satnav? I certainly wouldn't pay for this - just intend to use the satnav as it is or indeed connect to Google maps.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post