Karoq wheels

New to the Skoda Karoq Forums? Introduce yourself here
scorpion2

Post by scorpion2 »

Hi, new to Skoda cars. I intend buying a 1.5 Edition auto (reserved) but I note it has 19" wheels. Lots of the reviews on the web say that these should be avoided in favour of 17 or 18 wheels. What is the view on this as the road I live by is unmade and quite uneven/full of holes.

mistac

Post by mistac »

If it’s new, can you ask if the dealer can swap them with a set of 18 (or 17 inch) ones? My new sel came with 18” And I’m quite happy with the ride
Skoda Karoq 1.5 DSG SEL June 2021 MY21 with optional Virtual Cockpit
24 VRT

Post by 24 VRT »

Our Edition has the 19inch Crater alloys and the ride is fine - in fact I'd go so far as to say the roadholding particularly round the twisty bits is very good. And there is no spine jarring ride that a few would suggest should be experienced on 19inchers. Unless you want to drive at excessive speeds over deep potholes the wheels will cope with them - there aren't lots of forum posts complaining of cracked 19inchers.
Get a test drive in a Karoq with 19inchers to see for yourself.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

My Edition had 19 inch 45 aspect tyres, Ride was very hard and rough roads will cost you a fortune in tyres. Curbing is also a problem as no rubber protrudes beyond the rim.
My current Sportline is even WORSE with19" 40 ASPECT. RIDE AND CURBING EVEN WORSE.
I BOUGHT A SET OF 16" 60 ASPECT from a chum on the Yeti forum and the ride is transformed, roadholding not affected.
Avoid 19" like the plague as you live down an unmade road.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Patr

Post by Patr »

scorpion2 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:08 pm Hi, new to Skoda cars. I intend buying a 1.5 Edition auto (reserved) but I note it has 19" wheels. Lots of the reviews on the web say that these should be avoided in favour of 17 or 18 wheels. What is the view on this as the road I live by is unmade and quite uneven/full of holes.
I read all the reports too and decided to test drive a Karoq Edition and an SE L, back to back.

I much preferred the Edition and thus far have been delighted with both the ride and the handling.

Living in Mid Wales we have road surfaces which vary from satin smooth (not many) to downright dangerous and so far the Karoq has coped with them all. I too have an unmade road and, (unless you drive like Kimi Raikkonen), the 19" wheels tackle it without problem.

But I do appreciate that everyone has a different view based on experience or heresay, so try and get a test drive in both to decide which radii is best for you.

(If you do decide to go the Edition route and change the wheel size do remember to inform your insurance company. A friend put Abarth Alloys onto a Fiat 500 Lounge and when he had a bit of an arguement with an oncoming Transit his insurers were quick to point out the 'modified from manufacturers standard' clause in his policy. Sorry if its Granny teaching etc but he was several £k out for the sake of a phone call and a small premium).
scorpion2

Post by scorpion2 »

Thank you for the advice

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post