Hello All

New to the Skoda Karoq Forums? Introduce yourself here
Routemaster1

Post by Routemaster1 »

Hello everyone.

I have been an active member on another manufacturer's forum. I have joined here to find out a little of what to expect from the car, how some of the functions work, and to find out whether any of the myriad of extras are worth having.

Approx 2 weeks ago we ordered a Karoq Edition 1.5 manual with a few options. Delivery is due for the 71 plate. I was offered 4 different insurances for a total of ~£1600, not including a service plan and extended warranty, both of which I consider essential bearing in mind that I have had hundreds of £s of warranty work done on our current two cars. They were Gap Insurance (if I get it, will not be via dealer) , alloy wheel insurance (can't remember whether this covers tyres or not, and may be useful with 40 profile tyres), dent insurance, and one other which may have been stand-alone tyre insurance.

So, anyone got any comments or info about how well these work and what is worth having.

Patr

Post by Patr »

Researched the same on 1 May for my new Edition after receiving the dealer quotes. My experience:

1. Dealer GAP £500, Motoreasy £258 for 4 years (after phoning and getting max discount)
2. Dealer Alloys £300, Motoreasy £168 ( 4 claims PA, 3 years cover)
3. Dent and tyres didnt bother.

If you are a member of the Civil Service Motoring Association (CSMA,) or Boundless, their GAP insurance is far cheaper than the Stealers, sorry Dealers.

Service plan was included in my deal after a bit of haggling though it was on offer at £159 for 2 services.

Extended warranty no as car will be traded in at 3 years.
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

Welcome to the forum Routemaster1,

My LV= car insurance has full new for old cover for the first year (including the options I added to the base spec) so haven't bothered with GAP insurance. And if I want it in November then I'm sure I could get a better deal by shopping around. (I'm in the CSMA so Patr's comment is very relevant!)

A Service Plan just spreads out the cost of the services, and in effect you're paying in advance. I prefer to keep the money in my bank account until it's needed!

But I did go for the full 5 year factory warranty as I'm intending to keep my car as long as possible and DSG/Haldex repairs can get very expensive! Note that if this is included from new in the factory invoice you get a better deal than the one dealers will try to flog you separately.

My Bridgstone tyres have a pronounced rubber protrusion which should protect the alloys from kerbing, and I suspect the main problem will be when the diamond-cut wheels start degrading. Will that be covered by wheel insurance??

Have you had any advice about the changes for MY22 cars? The facelifted Karoq is due to be announced late in 2021, and probably on sale from early 2022, so I'm not expecting much to change before that apart from minor cost reductions.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Wheels can usually be repaired for about £50 each so I would not waste my money on wheel insurance. You may never need it. Better to spend the £50 IF you do?
GAP. Are you in the habit of writing your cars off? Or having them stolen?
I am on my 78th car, have been driving for 58 years and never had either of those occurrences.
Save your money!
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Routemaster1

Post by Routemaster1 »

kodiaq wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:56 pm Wheels can usually be repaired for about £50 each so I would not waste my money on wheel insurance. You may never need it. Better to spend the £50 IF you do?
GAP. Are you in the habit of writing your cars off? Or having them stolen?
I am on my 78th car, have been driving for 58 years and never had either of those occurrences.
Save your money!
I have actually written off 3 cars, one in 2003, a second in 2008 and a third in 2018, not being at fault in any of them. Here is video of the last accident.

In response to another reply, I also have LV= insurance and I would get a replacement new car if one is written off in the first year. I hope i don't have to find out how that works.
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Post by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX »

Hi.

Just to let you know that we offer a 12 month product called Total Loss Protection. Whilst it's not exactly the same as your traditional GAP insurance we feel for some customers it can make a cost effective alternative.

Please feel free to take a look if you wish.

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/extras/total-loss/

Regards,

Dan.