Hello

New to the Skoda Karoq Forums? Introduce yourself here
MikeGSD

Post by MikeGSD »

I previously had a Tiguan R-line 2.0 DSG BITDI 240 so for me this is a downgrade but overall a decent car. I picked up MY21 1.5 TSI SE Tech Petrol DSG in Race Blue.

In the Tiguan I had 2 sd cards in the unit in glovebox so I was able to update maps and install custom Poi's, using Meine_POI_Sammlung. However the Karoq has the unit in glovebox but its blanked off so no sdcard. I visited the skoda portal and entered my vin and that tells me I should be able to update using the sdcard. So I'm at lost obviously I still want to install custom Poi's. As the feature changed in the new models and can you update it through type c usb ?

Mike

Last edited by MikeGSD on Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

First of all ....Welcome to the forum.
I'm afraid I'm lost on this one. It looks as though that panel might pull off.
But before you risk wrecking it I would consult your dealer.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
MikeGSD

Post by MikeGSD »

Thanks Colin, yeah I did ring up the dealer and asked the guy but stated he didn't have a clue. All I know is i have 25/01/2022 Infotainment Online Online Route Import, Online Traffic Information, Petrol Stations, Parking Spaces, Online Route Calculation, Online Map Update.

I'll see what others say first and then maybe try a few different dealers.
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

When in doubt read the downloaded manual, as it contains a lot more information about the infotainment systems than the printed one in the glovebox!!

The MY21 Karoqs come with the 3rd generation Infotainment systems, and as such have USB-C ports rather than SD card slots. However the maps are updated online via the built-in eSIM, and cannot be updated by downloading a zipped file and installing it! (The Skoda Update Portal only seems to use the VIN to determine you have a registered Karoq and doesn't (yet) realise that the MY21 cars can't be updated that way.

Other owners with MIB3 infotainment systems have been discussing this at length elsewhere (it affects SEAT Atecas, VW T-Rocs, Kodiaqs etc), but after some false hopes raised by Eastern European owners (who don't have the eSIM technology) we have been forced to accept that there is no way for Western European owners with MIB3 systems to add any files manually. This means you have to subscribe to the Infotainment Online service annually to get regular map updates.

This also means you can't add the missing radio logos for some stations, (which Skoda tell me are missing because of 'licensing issues' -presumably some radio groups wouldn't pay VAG to display them - and can't be added by owners either.

The final problem is the web radio function. This is not explained in the manual, but a after months of queries and investigations, we have now found that this only works if:
1) You buy a dataplan from Cubic Telecom at 7 euro a month, 15 euro every 3 months, or 72 euro a year (and don't exceed its data allowance)
or
2) Set up your phone as a mobile hotspot and connect the car to that instead of the eSIM. (You will then be using your phone's data allowance instead, which could be cheaper that the Cubic one.)

If you Google VAG MIB3 problems, you'll soon find the threads talking about this :)

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.