waiting for my motor

New to the Skoda Karoq Forums? Introduce yourself here
jjg70

Post by jjg70 »

hi,
I've just ordered my new Karoq 1.5 TSI DSG SEL auto and have been told I'm getting it towards the end of March.
It's not a factory order and I am told that it's "over the water" on it's way here. It had all the spec and colour I wanted, got a good discount and the price I wanted for my current SUV.
It will be my first Skoda and I'm buying it based on my research, comparisons and reputation - also, it's a lot for what I'm paying.
The Sales guy seemed sound as a pound and got my custom because he went out of his way to meet all my needs, all in one day.
From past experience of other owners, I'd welcome opinions as to whether I'm likely to get it in March and likely problems I might encounter.
I had considered Mazda MX5, Seat Ateca, Kia Sorento and Peugeot 3008.
I've still got to pick up my caravan from storage in Brittany, get it across the water, drive it to the East Mids and sell it.
It's a 1500kg caravan - am I pushing my luck using the Karoq, bearing in mind, I'm an experienced tower.
If I were keeping the caravan, I would be keeping my Kia Sorento, which I don't want to do.
Any views welcome.

(can't wait to get my motor!)

CJJE

Post by CJJE »

Did you pay for the towing options just to get your caravan back from Brittany? Or are you swapping it for a smaller van once it's back in the UK? That seems an expensive way of bringing it back home to me if you don't still need the towing capability?

If the car is a dealer order and 'on it's way', it should just be in a car lot somewhere waiting for a train to Emdsen, and then a boat to the UK. So there shouldn't be too many unforeseen delays unless covid lockdowns affect it.

Best of luck anyway.

If you want to get a heads-up on its features and technology, you can download the owner's manual from:

https://manual.skoda-auto.com/210/en-gb ... ualLang=en

which is well worth while as the printed copy in my car didn't have full coverage of the infotainment system.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Welcome to the forum JJG.
Good choice.
I can't offer any towing help I'm afraid,
I gave up being a 'shed lugger' many years ago.

Your dealer should be able to supply you with a copy of the progress sheet for your car, The dealers are advised every time a car goes from one stage to the next.
If it is in Emden (sic) it should not be too long although you must be aware that all VAG products leave Emden on the same ships.which can carry a mixed cargo of all VAG brands and models.
Unfortunately Skoda tend to get the 'hind tit' being one of the junior members of the gang. VW and Audi precede them.
On my experience you could be in with a chance of late March.
It also depends on where you are in the UK.
Boats from Emden go to Sheerness and (I think) Tyne Port. For south or north dealers.
Good luck!
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
jjg70

Post by jjg70 »

Bit of a tricky one with the towing kit and decided to have it fitted because I managed a reasonable price from the dealer. I would like to think we'll get a smaller caravan as we were happy with the Bailey 2 berth we had - just a pain having to make up the bed every night. Unfortunately her indoors gets a bit stressed because I don't hang about when towing - I don't get a queue of traffic behind me on A roads and I don't trail behind lorries on the motorway. I may have to console myself with the fact that whatever I get for the caravan will probably pay for gites for the next ten years or so, which, for a 70 year old, could be a bit of optimism.
If I have to wait till the end of March or thereabouts, shouldn't be too much of a problem as I'll be surprised if the lockdown finishes before then.
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

Yeh, typo for Emden in Germany. boats go to Sheerness for the south, and Immingham (near Hull) for the north (and I think Northern Ireland rather than being routed via Dublin like the Irish cars).
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

Back to the original post and extending the 1500Kg towing question slightly.

How well does the 1.5 TSI tow?

What is the best mode to use? Logic would seem to lean towards Sports Mode because it hangs onto gears longer, or would Manual be better?

tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
jjg70

Post by jjg70 »

I've read some post about the Karoq being reluctant to tow anything and then going off with a jump - something to do with the engine management. I don't know whether that was auto or manual and it required re-programming. I'll weigh it up when I get the car and use it for a bit. The caravanning forums are usually a good place to find someone who will have experienced the same problem. Obviously my main concern is pushing the car beyond it's capabilities. Thanks for advice and I'll report on my success or failure with the matter.