automatic gearbox

New to the Skoda Karoq Forums? Introduce yourself here
Armistead

Post by Armistead »

Has anyone else felt that the auto seems to 'hold' onto lower gears longer than necessary? If it was a manual I'd have moved up a gear long before my. auto chooses to.

CJJE

Post by CJJE »

Petrol or diesel? Not using Sport mode are you? I've never had that problem, and in fact used to think my old Golf Plus 1.6TDI changed up too early!

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
Armistead

Post by Armistead »

Hi Chris
No, I'm not in sport mode. I tend to drive 'quietly', with a gentle right foot, but 2nd and 3rd gears seem to resist moving 'up' for an inordinate length of time!
The car is new to me, although I have had automatics over many years. Perhaps I just need to get used to it.
David
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Skoda claim that your DSG will 'learn' your style of driving (don't ask me how!)
Give it a few weeks and then note the speeds or revs a which the gears change up if it still 'hanging on'.
Publish here so that we can compare with others.
Petrol or diesel BHP etc??
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Armistead

Post by Armistead »

Hi Kodiaq
OK! Thanks for the advice - I will do that.
David
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

I am a gentle driver as well.
If I feel the car is holding on to a gear I lift the throttle slightly and that seems to cause it to change up.
Of course this could just be coincidence.
Can't see an easy way to check and it could just also be the car has not fully warmed up.

tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
jjg70

Post by jjg70 »

It's my first auto and I find it superb. I drive in "Eco" all the time - just find it a pain to have to remember to switch it to eco every time I set off. If I need to do a quick overtaking manoeuvre or when I want engine braking, it's just a matter of a quick pull of the gear lever to knock it into sport mode. I've never even bothered to try the manual mode. I really don't know what standard type autos are like, but I can't see myself ever going back to manual.
Ian Grist

Post by Ian Grist »

I have the same problem with my Karoq and it’s a pain in the proverbial
With my previous Skoda Octavia when it was set to Eco it stopped in eco , but it doesn’t happen in the Karoq and it needs to reset to Eco each time you drive it and that’s not good, in fact it’s a backwards step by Skoda
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I suspect that the reset may be a software error rather than intentional. The main infotainment screen and the light in the mode selector button both indicate Eco mode persisting after a restart. However, the MFD between the dials and the behaviour of the gearbox make it obvious that the car has reverted to standard ("D"). Given the way Skoda seem to not address software bugs I suspect that this was not planned and in the end it was easier to change the user guide than to fix the software.

I should probably note that the above is based on my experience of an 18 plate 1.5TSi SE-L.

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post