New to Skoda, New To Karoq

New to the Skoda Karoq Forums? Introduce yourself here
JonVonWeston

Post by JonVonWeston »

Hi all

Proud owner of a new 1.5 Petrol DSG Edition in business grey. First time with a Skoda having been an Audi driver until now. Purchased as used (but 97 miles on the clock so not really) - complete with Canton, Park Assist, Heated Windscreen and other bells and whistles.

I have to say, I've had the car a week now, done about 350 miles in it,I love it and don't regret my decision whatsoever.

I have a couple of issues around the Sat Nav and Infotainment - I think some of it is operator error rather than a genuine error (I hope)

Jon

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Jon,
Welcome to the forum and Skoda ownership.
I am on my 8th Skoda and 3rd Karoq so that may give you some confidence!
If you can;t solve your problems do feel free to ask the questions here. Hopefully sombody will be able to help you.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
JonVonWeston

Post by JonVonWeston »

Thanks Colin - as I'm say, I love the car. Thanks for your welcome.

Jon
Linx

Post by Linx »

Hi all. Soon-to-be Karoq owner here, due to take delivery of a 2020 SEL. I’ve only test-driven a lower trim model with 17 inch wheels (which was great) but the SEL has the 19 inch ones about which there seem to be mixed reviews regarding ride quality. The dealer is prepared to change the wheels over to 18inch at delivery but am I worrying unnecessarily about this? I can’t seem to get a definitive answer and I suppose I never will but is it worth me agreeing to the wheel change?
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Welcome Linx,
Re wheels/ride.
I have just bought 4 16inch wheels with 60 aspect tyres because I felt (old and with a bad back) that the ride is unacceptable.
My original wheels were 19" with 225 40 aspect tyres.The other problem with these 'rubber bands' is curbing. The rubber does not protrude beyond the rim. thereby exposing the rims to damage even with the slightst 'kiss' with a curbstone.

Do you know what aspect your 19" wheels would have?

It seems to be a European obsession to fit these ridiculous 'rubber bands', as the majority of Eu manucaturers seem to do so.
If you want 'proper' tyres, in my experience, you have to go to Japan or Korea.

Try and ask your dealer to let you drive a car with the same set up as your proposed new purchase and then you can make your own mind up.
I feel so strongly about these rubbish (IMO) tyres that If ALL Skodas fir them next time I change my car and I can't use my 16", due to PCD etc, it will not be a Skoda and I am on my 8th Skoda, so you can assume i do rather like Skoda!!
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Linx

Post by Linx »

Thanks Kodiaq. The Karoq will be our third Skoda and, in fact, we’re keeping the Octavia Scout as a very nice second car because we like it so much. I have just arranged a test drive on a 19inch Karoq. I suppose it’s each to his own on this one so, as you say, it’s probably the only way I’ll get an answer to satisfy me. The 18inch changeover is ready and waiting if I want it; driving the Scout has given me a preference for a softer ride as my boy racer days are long behind me. I suspect I’ll go with the the 18inch but the proof of the pudding and all that.... .
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Linx,
Good luck. Please let us know what you think.
Remember to ensure that the profile of the tyre you test drive is the same as your intended purchase. If the test drive is an Edition they should be 45. if Sportline they should be 40 aspect. Also check the aspect of the tyres on the 18" wheels. I would think they would probably be 50 or 55 to keep the roling radius identical to the original 19" (to ensure the speedo remains legal)
Out of interest, what size wheels/tryes aspect etc is you Octavia?
If you want what I consider to be an acceptable ride on your new car you might want to con sider 16" 215 60. That is what I have put on my Sportline. That configuration maintains the correct rolling radius.
P.M. me if you want a chat about comparing wheel/tyre sizes and I'll let you have my 'phone number.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Linx

Post by Linx »

Kodiaq
Thanks for the advice. I have decided to take the car with the R19s, with an arrangement to change them to R18s a few days later if I don’t get on with them. The SEL I tested was okay over a variety of road surfaces, but it might take more than 20 minutes or so before I get a proper feel for them. I brought up your point about the tyres’ aspect with the dealer and he assured me that any change to R18s would accommodate that. The Octavia drives on 225/50 R17s and, along with the raised suspension, these make the ride very smooth and comfortable. I like Michelin, because they have such good quality rubber and are so well engineered that they last a lot longer than other makes, in my experience. The rear tyres on the Octavia are still the originals, after 46,000 miles, and I reckon they are still good for a few more months. Worth paying the extra twenty quid or so IMHO.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

I agree re Michelins, But I haven't driven on any for many years, as I never keep my cars long enough to buy new tyres :lol:
My 16"s have Goodyear All Seasons fitted, came with the wheels and are about half worn. They seem to be fine so far, but with a very aggressive chevron tread pattern, they do sound a bit like an army truck. Not unpleasantly so.
So I will live with them and then go Mich CC.
There is an increasing train of thought that a 2wd fitted with good all weather tyres stands more of a chance in wet and snow than a 4wd fitted with ordinary summer tyres.
Since since snow in Poole is a bout as rare as a flying pig, I doubt I shall ever find out. :lol:
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post