correct oil for 1.5 petrol engines

New to the Skoda Karoq Forums? Introduce yourself here
sparky

Post by sparky »

hi i am new here and have just collected my new karoq but am having conflicting advice from the dealer and skoda uk as to which grade of oil to use. can anyone shed some light on this shady subject ?
karoq edition 1.5L manual in meteor grey

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

What is the conflicting advice?
Aa an ex Shell retail lubricants man I am obviously going to only recommend a Shell product. ;)
Got to keep my pension topped up somehow!
Shell Helix Ultra Professional AV-L 0W-20

https://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/engine ... XdFY0JTMWY
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
The-Geek

Post by The-Geek »

You will have a sticker under the bonnet which tells you the factory fill grade, just ensure you buy the same grade, which supplier (shell etc) you use is up to your budget and preference. See attached photo

Oil Label.jpg

Current Runaround..... Scout 2.0 TDI 4x4 Manual - Red of course (Any other colour is pointless) ;)
sparky

Post by sparky »

many thanks for the replies guys but i don't have any sticker like that on the slam panel. the main question now i know the vw number is what viscosity is best and what would the factory have put in ? sorry to be pragmatic but there seems to be much emphasis on the correct oil for VW engines and i intend to keep the car for a long time and do my own changes, the car is great and glad to be skoda owner for the first time