Evening all

New to the Skoda Karoq Forums? Introduce yourself here
rod9669

Post by rod9669 »

Tempted to get a 1.6 SE L as my new run-around in September. I'm in sales and do 25-30k miles a year, mix of A,B and motorways

I'm having trouble finding a dealer in South Wales who'll let me do anything like a decent test drive. The local dealer has a fixed route even

Does anyone

A - suggest someone who will hire me a 1.6 diesel manual for a day so that I can used to it and try and guestimate my MPG

B - Anyone out their with a heavy right foot like to give me an idea of what MPG they get

Thanks

Rod

chrispbits

Post by chrispbits »

Hi Rod, don't know about the hiring bit but the 1.6 seems very sensitive to speed when it comes to MPG. On my daily journey to and from the station - 10 miles each way on a mix of B and white roads I can easily get 60+ MPG. However, at motorway speeds this drops to around 47 MPG. I've completed just over 3K miles so hopefully this will improve soon. I'll soon find out as I've got a 700+ mile road trip at the end of this week.

Re the 1.6 before you opt for that engine give the 1.5 and the 2 Ltr diesel a test drive. The 1.5 is more responsive as undoubtedly will be the 2 Ltr. I didn't go for the 1.5 because I preferred the weight distribution of the 1.6. Are you planning on a manual or DSG?

Regards,
Chris
Karoq SE L 1.6 TDI DSG in Business Grey
Usual SE L stuff plus leather seats and spare wheel
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Welcome Rod,
While I was writing my diatribe, Chris beat me to it. I agree with him re trying the 1.5. My DSG has done 2000 miles (VAG engines take up to 4k miles to loosen up, at which point the consumption improves.) I get 33 round town and 44 on a run. I obviously don't know who is paying for your fuel, but bear in mind that in general derv is about 10ppl more expensive than petrol so do the sums carefully!

If you dealer has a fixed route for a test drive I would tell him to take a hike! What a bloody nerve!
When I buy a car I expect to be able to take the car out ON MY OWN, WHERE I WANT & for at LEAST 30 minutes.
After all you are spending £thousands and you want to get a decent feel of the car.

I would say to that dealer, "If you want my business I want a decent test drive, I am spending a small fortune on the car and am not prepared to be told where and how far I can go. I want a decent test drive and If you don't let me, i'll take my business elsewhere." They will probably give in. The motor trade are in the poo at the moment and some are doing ridiculous deals to move some tin!
If they stick to their guns please name and shame the dealer you mentioned, to save other people wasting their time!

I took a female friend (as her car Guru) to look at a Mazda 2 last week. The salesman drove it round the block to show us the controls and then let us loose, saying we could go where we want and within reason, take as long as we we wanted. She bought the car!

It's a long way from you but you can hire a Karoq for £59 per day here. https://www.dmkeith.com/skoda/rentacar/
these are the South Wales dealers.

Capitol SKODA, Newport
Newport · 01633 636463

Sinclair Skoda Swansea
Sinclair
Swansea · 01792 621761

White Dove ŠKODA & SEAT Cardiff
029 2064 2962

As far as consumption is concerned, If nobody else here advises you, go to the SKODA WEBSITE and have a look. The new WLTP method is far more accurate than the old method. You should be within 2-3 mpg of what they quote in 'real time' driving.
I think you should consider, with your annual mileage, if the 1.6 is suitable. You may find the 2.0L suits you better.
Being retired i won't have derv as It's MY money and i am not prepared to put up with the awful residuals and swingeing bans that are now affecting dervs. Also my driving is mainly short /cold journeys which is death to a derv.
Good luck. please let us know how you get on.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
rod9669

Post by rod9669 »

Thanks for the responses

Had my test drive this morning and took the route I wanted, which was A roads through populated areas with a bit of 60, and return on the motorway. The results surprised the sales guy, and correlates with what Chris stated above. I did the same route afterwards in my current car (Kia Optima SSW 1.7 TD Auto), just to get a comparison. If anyone's interested, the figures are below, I've put my current car in brackets afterwards

Approx 8 miles A roads 48 mpg (42)
Return approx 7 miles motorway * dropped it to 44 total (41)

Realised when I came to the junction that I'd done the motorway leg in 5th not 6th, so he was happy for me to do a quick spin again

Motorway 4 miles 37mpg (32) (yes, I have a very heavy right foot)

So, I know that it is better than the Kia, but probably not as good as the Qashqai, but I'll probably go for it

I would prefer the 2.0 diesel but there is such a good deal on with Nationwide Vehicle Contracts at the moment that no-one else can get near - 3 months down, 24 month contract, 25k / annum for about £370 quid - Sinclairs were 80 quid extra. This deal is only on the 1.6 SE L so probably some dealer has stock to get rid of

If I do get it, I'll probably be back with loads of questions and complaints ;)

Rod
rod9669

Post by rod9669 »

Regarding fuel type and cost, I've worked out that over 24000 miles a year, I'll use

40 mpg diesel, 600 gallons, £300 a month @ £1.32 a litre
50 mpg diesel, 480 gallons, £240 a month @ £1.32 a litre

30 mpg petrol, 800 gallons, £375 a month @ £1.24 a litre
40 mpg petrol, 600 gallons, £281 a month @ £1.24 a litre

So, not as much in it as you would have thought?

Currently, with rental and fuel I'm paying out £746 a month. If the Karoq does 50 mpg, with that deal, it'll drop to £610 - that's another holiday every year :)
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Whatever you do (IMHO!) . do NOT buy a Nissan. Their reliability scores have dropped through the floor. My next door neighbour had two. Second one was to replace the first one which was returned to the finance company as not fit for purpose.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)