Thinking of buying a Karoq

New to the Skoda Karoq Forums? Introduce yourself here
alan11

Post by alan11 »

Dear Karoq drivers, I am thinking of purchasing a Skoda Karoq & I have spent lots of hours reading up on various web sites about this vehicle.
There seems to be lots of positive reporting coming from Autocar & other motoring mags. BUT the best people to speak to is actual owners.
All in all would you recommend this SUV to a new prospective owner. I spent some time reading your comments. Do you get good service from the dealers.
Kind regards,
Alan

Womanofkent

Post by Womanofkent »

welcome Alan,

We have owned our Karoq since 1st Feb and are very happy with it, apart from selling us the vehicle and a few follow up calls we haven't really had much contact with the dealers. According to other posters it seems there is one Skoda dealer to avoid in the Preston area I think but I have no personal dealings with them so couldn't comment. Where ever you buy your car from doesn't mean you need to go to them for servicing so may be worth talking to Skoda owners near you to find out what they think of your local dealer.

You say you have read up a lot have you watched videos on youtube? My husband must have watched each one!!!

Any questions you have either before or after you get one please ask us, we try to help each other, it is also possible to download the Karoq manual on to your computer to read before you get the car especially as the car handbook refers to the electronic version quite a lot. :D
Karoq 1.5 TSI DSG Edition, Quartz Grey, towbar, heated windscreen and nozzles since 1 Feb 2018 new to the Skoda brand
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I suspect that most Karoq owners will have had little contact with dealers yet unless they managed to buy a lemon. Some folks seem to be getting a bit of a run around over delivery dates thought whether that is due to the dealers, Skoda or the revised rules regarding fuel economy / emissions testing it is not possible to say.

Perhaps, if you give us an idea where you are, other members may be able to recommend a dealer in the area to use or avoid.

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
mikaroq

Post by mikaroq »

Personally would totally recommend the Karoq - we have the 1.5 TSI Edition and have had it for a month now. Recently did a family holiday to Scotland (450 miles each way) and the car was faultless and comfortable - fully loaded with 2 adults, 2 kids, a dog and 3 bikes on a towbar mounted rack. I even thought the MPG wasn't bad at around 36, given that we were heavy and managed to average 56 mph on the way back...

Our local dealer has been great so far, but only purchased and collected.
Karoq Edition 1.5 TSI DSG in Business Grey with towbar, auto light assist and heated front and rear seats.
alan11

Post by alan11 »

Thank you all for your replies, I am in the West country Taunton. Regarding engine size, I am old school & not totally comfortable with the 1 L version.
( hope I have not offended any one)Preferring to go with the 1.5 TSi minimum or the 2.0 TDI Diesel 150 BHP. Would like to use the car for touring England & great to know that you
have been to Scotland. Does any one have a auto DSG > Reports say the manual is slick, but town driving is beginning to wear a bit thin.
Drove past the local dealership at North Petherton this afternoon & quickly glanced a Karoq parked in a prominent position on their forecourt. Must admit folks, lovely car. Safe driving, Alan
bone_tone

Post by bone_tone »

All the positive reviews/videos/comments on this site can't be wrong! Just go ahead and do it, you won't be disappointed - I love my 1.5 SE L (manual).
Skoda Karoq 1.5TSI SE L Capuccino Beige
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Hi Alan,

Always good to "meet" someone from the county God made after a few practice runs; Somerset, county of my birth :) . Sadly, I was forced by economics to migrate up the M5 / M4 and so cannot give any guidance about the dealers in your area.

I have the 1.5TSi with a DSG box and have to say that it is the best balance of performance, ease of driving and sophistication in the range. Someone covering higher milages that I do would probably prefer one of the diesel engines, but before chucking your money in a heap, check the relative prices of petrol and diesel engines and consider how much extra fuel you could buy with the savings. the decision to buy diesel for economy is very mileage dependent, especially with the cost of Ad Blue and the hassle that DPF and EGR exhaust components can cause. (I had a diesel Yeti before the Karoq so this is not just anti-diesel propaganda; the choice is not always as clear-cut as it might seem)

The DSG box is a delight, smooth, fast changes and with the flappy paddles that come as standard on the 1.5 DSG it is very easy to manually override the auto selection if you want a quick overtake or can see a steep hill ahead. I do find the start-stop system a bit worrying, but if I ignore it and just let it do its' own thing it seems to work very well despite the reservations that my mind has (If it really bugs you it is only one press of the button to disable it).

Some of the options are well worth paying for though which are right for you depends on the type of driving you do, who you carry with you and what you see as important. I selected the following:

• Blind spot warning and lane detection system. I am really impressed with both, especially on long motorway drives.
  • The traffic sign recognition displays the last speed limit sign passed on the multifunction display between the dials. This is helpful (though not always right) but for an extra £70 it would have been daft not to specify that.
  • The adaptive cruise control and speed limiter are a joy to use, making motorway driving far more relaxed. I believe that the ACC system is an option in all trim levels; money well spent to me.
  • The heated front screen was a no-brainer, as my car lives on the drive and I hate scraping windows.
  • The heated steering wheel was probably an indulgence, but I reckon I am going to be pleased to have it come the frosty winter mornings after I haven’t scraped the ice off the windscreen ;) .
  • One neat feature I did not know about when I bought the car was the traffic jam assistant (automatically included if you have the DSG box, lane assistance, and adaptive cruise control) this allows the car to simply follow the car in front in a traffic jam. I almost look forward to motorway hold ups now :D
Personally, I felt that opening the boot with a wave of the foot or even a powered tailgate was just gimmicky and unnecessary (other folks love those features, each to his own) and I was so underwhelmed by the interior ambient lighting option (£350!) that I decided against the electrically adjustable seat as the lighting was bundled with it, making the seat a £950 option with a (to me) utterly useless lighting pack thrown in to irritate me.

The other thing I would recommend is trying to get hold of a test car in the trim level you will specify, as the seats vary and you need to be comfortable. For example, if you do have the electrically adjustable drivers seat the lumbar support I provided by a n inflatable bladder in the seat; manual seats have a cushion that moves with a lever. The two seats feel very different.

All in all, I am very impressed with the Karoq. The only thing it is missing is individuality, something my old Yeti had in spades. The Karoq is a far better car than the Yeti, but I still find myself missing the personality of the Yeti. Despite that, I do not regret making the change.

Hope some of that is helpful,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

alan11

Post by alan11 »

Thanks Ian for a great reply, loved your response. Will have to pop over to the dealership & take one out for a test drive. I have been to utube again & watched the 1500 mile journey from the Skoda factory to the Uk. He drove the top of the range model, 4 wheel drive etc, Regarding Somerset Yes its Gods country, especially West Somerset Minehead, Exmore area. Born in a small town called Watchet, now living in Taunton. I think the 1.5 TSI would have no effort with Porlock hill, all the best, Alan
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

[Off topic]
I know Watchet, my grandfather was the Methodist minister there for some years. I was astonished by how gentrified the harbour area is when I visited a couple of years ago after a gap of more than 35 years.

Taunton was where my father was a GP for a few years, though I do not remember it as we moved away when I was less than a year old and I only remember visiting occasionally as a child.

Sorry to go off topic folks!

Have fun,

Ian.
[/Off topic]

guinnessaddick

Post by guinnessaddick »

I recently picked up a 1.5 TSI DGS Edition, it has a powered tailgate, not sure if it has kick motion, I've tried a couple of times and nothing.
Is there anywhere of knowing if it has?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post