Software updates.

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
rxpaul

Post by rxpaul »

The SOS CALL WORKSHOP error was mentioned in this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=904

A dealer installed software update is mentioned in that thread. Is this software update one that has to be done at a dealer?

I have some sort of update that I downloaded from the Škoda website on a flash drive (it may be just infotainment, but I’m not sure) but am not sure how to install it… nothing seems to happen when I stick the drive into a USB-C slot. Does it have to be a specific slot?

Also, how are the maps updated? I read that some need manual updates (presumably via a flash drive) and some are over the air. How can I tell which I have in my 2020 (70 plate) Karoq?

CJJE

Post by CJJE »

The main car software update has to be done by a Skoda registered workshop as the car needs to download a lot of date from the main Skoda servers. (I believe it takes several hours.)

The map updates and radio updates are offered on the Skoda Update webpage, but I've also found that plugging a USB stick into a USB-C port doesn't seem to achieve anything. There is no update command on the MIB3 menu system, and it doesn't seem to identify the new data on its own. (Note this is for UK cars, I have been told that cars in Eastern Europe were able to update their maps this way as they didn't have an online update feature.)

If you have the small USB-C ports in your car, then you will have the MIB3 infotainment system. As long as you have an active Skoda Connect licence for Infotainment Online then the car will download updates to the maps whenever it is driven in an updated area. You can check the version of your maps by checking the System Information screen on the menu system (mine is currently using 22.5.

The previous MIB2 system (for cars built before September 2020) had an SD card port and either used an SD card to hold the maps (for the Amundsen system) or transferred the files to an internal hard disk (for the Columbus system). You could download the updated maps to an SD card and then plug this into the car to update the maps manually.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
rxpaul

Post by rxpaul »

Thanks for that really comprehensive reply….

I assume I’m MIB3 as there doesn’t seem to be an SD card slot anywhere. (It’s usually in the glove box, I believe.)
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

Correct. On my old Golf there were 2 SD card slots at the top of the glovebox. One held the map data and the other was free for music SD cards. On MIB3 cars you can play music via the USB-C ports instead.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
NascarMike

Post by NascarMike »

I have the dreaded SOS Emergency Call Workshop error.

Car went in in May for an update.

Error appeared again and got the car booked in for tomorrow for "another" update.

Hopefully this will work

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post