Loss of pressure detected

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
karoqy

Post by karoqy »

only had the car a day and this warning just beeped up. I haven't set the pressure yet...
Is the pressure sensor actually based on the pressure of the actual tyres, because it doesn't give a pressure reading or anything, I assumed it is just detecting a change in balance or something...

What is the pressure loss threshold? will have to wait until tomorrow before I check the actual pressures with a gauge.
Just confused as to how it knows there is a loss of pressure and if it could be a sensor glitch/false flag

CJJE

Post by CJJE »

The standard tyre pressure monitor works by comparing the rotational speed of the tyres over time - if a tyre has lost pressure compared with the others it will be rotating slightly faster - and uses the ABS sensors to do this.

I would expect the dealer to have set the system up when preparing it for sale.

If a check with a gauge reveals one tyre is out by a few PSI, then I would inflate them all to the setting you require (as delivered I found my tyres were too hard for my liking) and reset the tyre pressure system as explained in the manual. If the pressure then drops again, it's time to examine the tyre for a possible nail etc.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
Ian Grist

Post by Ian Grist »

It’s simply a matter of checking that your tyre pressures are inflated ( or deflated) to the correct pressures with no variance in the the 2 rear or 2 front I.e 2 rears set at the same pressures and 2 fronts set at the same pressures (you may prefer fronts pressures different to rear pressures) …..after setting the pressures you will then have to go into the settings on your screen and confirm the settings
karoqy

Post by karoqy »

CJJE wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:16 pm The standard tyre pressure monitor works by comparing the rotational speed of the tyres over time - if a tyre has lost pressure compared with the others it will be rotating slightly faster - and uses the ABS sensors to do this.

I would expect the dealer to have set the system up when preparing it for sale.

If a check with a gauge reveals one tyre is out by a few PSI, then I would inflate them all to the setting you require (as delivered I found my tyres were too hard for my liking) and reset the tyre pressure system as explained in the manual. If the pressure then drops again, it's time to examine the tyre for a possible nail etc.

Chris
On that tyre pressure page it does not show a specific pressure, I tried with the gauge on the pump from the boot... front 2 were slightly over, back 2 were more or less what the sticker in the fuel flap says. The pump's gauge goes up in .2 bar so was only rough measurement.
I set the pressure in the the car settings and the light went off. So now I'll just wait and see.

Thanks
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

The car just compares rotational speeds side to side on each axle.

Every time you set the pressures you need to reset the system. I'm not near the manual so can't give the para. I think you just hold down the button till it resets.

tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
Routemaster1

Post by Routemaster1 »

I'm not sure that it compares side to side or whether it compares all 4. We have just come back from Austria, and whilst we were there the TPMS system went off. It said 'low pressure in rear left tyre' (my previous cars would indicate a puncture but not which tyre). and on checking the pressure had dropped from 2.8 bar to 2.2 bar. So a fair pressure drop. Turned out to be a screw in the tyre.