Airbag failure

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
Reeno

Post by Reeno »

Hello, my Karoq 2018 has failed it's MOT due to air bag light. Diagnostic test done shows air bag failure on driver side. Contacted dealership who have been very unhelpful, advised that they would need to complete a diagnostic but no appointments available for one month. Dealership claims a fault with airbag is very unlikely, and that they have not heard of this issue before. I contacted another skoda dealership who informed me that our warranty would not cover a replacement air bag (quoted in the region of £600).

Anyone had this issue?

Thanks

CJJE

Post by CJJE »

I've not heard of this problem myself, but believe that the official Skoda advice is that you should drive cautiously to a dealer for it to be sorted. I've also read that the most likely cause is a faulty connection or loose wire rather than a faulty airbag itself.

Perhaps a call to Skoda Customer Services on 03330 037 504 (Mon - Fri; 08:30 - 17:30) would speed things up, but I'm pretty disappointed with dealers who can't at least have a quick look at your car for you!

And of course if it has failed its MOT, you shouldn't be driving it unless it is to get the fault repaired!

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
Routemaster1

Post by Routemaster1 »

CJJE wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:04 pm
And of course if it has failed its MOT, you shouldn't be driving it unless it is to get the fault repaired!
This is not quite true. The car can fail its MOT test and still be driven until the existing MOT expires unless the MOT failure list a dangerous fault. Whether an airbag light is classed as a dangerous fault, I don't know.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

I posted at great length yesterday, but something has gone wrong, 'cos it isn't here.
Firstly,
Welcome to the forum.
When you speak to Customer Services insist on speaking to a CS MANAGER. The peeps that answer the 'phones have no authority and not a huge amount of knowledge.
Keep pestering if you come up against a brick wall. They usually give in in the end. Even threaten legal action if you don't get anywhere.
See this thread for another angle.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=912
Good luck.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

Routemaster1 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:29 pm
CJJE wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:04 pm
This is not quite true. The car can fail its MOT test and still be driven until the existing MOT expires unless the MOT failure list a dangerous fault. Whether an airbag light is classed as a dangerous fault, I don't know.
Good point. Hopefully the MOT Fail document will explain this.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post