Alternator problem

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
Bramleyapple

Post by Bramleyapple »

I have a MY21 Karoq SE-L 4x4 and recently the KESSY lock/unlock was misbehaving so had to use the key fob. I went to use the car today and it would not start, engine tried to turn, various flashing lights and messages on the dash and screen. Battery voltage was down to 10.
I called Skoda Breakdown Assistance and the AA turned up about an hour later. The technician tested the battery before hooking up his booster pack,
and his diagnostics machine which showed the alternator is not charging properly. Charge current was only 12 volts and 34 amps. After checking battery connections etc. it went up to 14.5 and 56 amps but did not maintain it so he said the alternator may be faulty or the BCM may be causing the problem.
He told me he has dealt with this issue on other Skodas which were subject to a recall, but mine does not come under that.
However it is to be repaired under warranty next week by main dealer.
Has anyone else had this problem?

CJJE

Post by CJJE »

There was a bad batch of batteries made by MOLL back in 2018/9 that were replaced under warranty, but your car seems too new to have been fitted with one of those. I haven't heard of any alternator problems, but it will be interesting to know what your dealer will do to repair your car.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
Bramleyapple

Post by Bramleyapple »

After four days I got my Karoq back yesterday and the Skoda dealer said there is nothing wrong with it. They put the battery on a 24 hour charge and did a drop test on it and no problems showed up.
it is good to know that, but makes me wonder if the AA tech who diagnosed the alternator problem was right or wrong, or Skoda did find a fault and rectified it but won't admit it.
Either way I'm just happy to be back on the road.