Sat Nav!...

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
Dudley

Post by Dudley »

Please see initial postings re faulty rear view camera.b

Woe woe & thrice woe....it would appear that my celebrations of finally getting a replacement rear camera fitted was misplaced. Within 24 hours the original fault of reversing camera failing reoccurred...so it was not the camera at fault!

I have spoken to Skoda Customer Services who advise that the 2015 Act clearly applies and in particular Section 24 which provides for a replacement vehicle. The Franchise are unwilling to discuss a replacement and instead have taken my Karoq in to enable an update of the computer system to be undertaken. Being a CSMA member I have been able to access , free of charge, legal advice which confirms the Skoda decision in that should the fault not be identified and corrected a replacement vehicle should be offered.

Car due to be returned within a couple of days. If the fault has not been corrected it would seem that I have to face up to a protracted, possibly legal headed action, to have a replacement car.

Having seen On various Skoda forums that my problem is certainly happening with other Karoq owners I wonder whether if anyone who has had similar issues has managed to have an effective repair..or if any forum member has successfully managed to obtain a replacement vehicle. Any advice would be gratefully received.

It is noteworthy that Whilst Skoda Customer Services are at present supportive I am not too certain they would back it up with positive support against one of their franchises. I see that the Skoda uk top mam is leaving his post after Xmas so probably wasting my time consulting with his good offices!

Watch this space for updates...minnows against the Skoda machine.

J

Dudley

Post by Dudley »

Update….Sat Nav failure . Reversing camera faults …See my previous postings.

Recent weird happenings in that emergency warning message displayed telling me to call emergency services whilst on M42 followed by shut down of Sat Nav. Having encountered difficulties with these messages previously I ignored the instructions and carried on driving. Eventually the warning light went out and Sat Nav returned. This was the final straw in a 10 month dispute with my local franchise …endless updates, new control system, new reversing camera, car in garage for two weeks at a time all to no avail.

Well it has been a long journey but at last an acceptable result. Following legal advice I contacted Skoda Uk and advised that I had initiated action under 2015 sale of goods act. Skoda UK finally capitulated and auth. franchise to source new car albeit reminding me that my action was for breach of contract against the franchise. Clearly Skoda had come to some accommodation with the franchise in terms of a financial nature but I am well satisfied that I have received full repayment of price paid plus a very generous discount , if I wish, on a new updated Karoq model.

So my message to other Skoda owners who are experiencing problems with reversing camera or Sat Nav difficulties , and by messages posted on various forums there are quite a few , is to persevere you will win in the end.
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

The erroneous SOS Error Message is a well-known fault, and seems to be cured by updating the car's software to version 0276 or later. I've never had any problems with the rear-view camera (which is included with the Area View cameras on my car.

Note that dealers are apparently only authorised to update the software version when a customer reports a related fault, and it is not done automatically at a normal service.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

I had no problems with any of my 3 Karoqs. The sad tale above, and all the others regarding increasing number of faults and failures, not only with Karoq, but also Kodiaq and especially Octavia iV PHEV, makes me even more convinced that I was correct in my decision, (very sadly :cry: after 13 years supporting Skoda and having purchased 8 of their erstwhile excellent cars) to buy an HR-V e:HEV.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Dudley

Post by Dudley »

Well here we are again…see previous posts re Sat.Nav and reverse camera problems on my old Karoq 1.5 SE L. 2021 model

So having spent 12 months insisting the car was replaced finally, after threatening legal action, I was offered a monetary refund of actual original cost OR generous discount on 2022 updated model.

I thought ‘lightning could not strike in the same place twice’ so opted for the new model. Wrong….within weeks the reversing camera once again failed to operate other than intermittently….into the dealership who identified fault and replaced camera.

Within a further week camera defaulted! So no further on. Dealership have contacted Skoda direct seeking their advice…what a joke.

Now “ infotainment “ Asking what I want it to do without any input from myself……emergency contact has actioned itself with dashboard yellow triangle lit up.
Booked into dealership next week once again……I foresee yet another 12 months of negotiations…

Dudley
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Yet another unhappy customer causing me to be glad that after 13 loyal years to Skoda I have now had two completely reliable, everything actually works!! HONDA hybrids.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Survey

Post by Survey »

So, has the satnav and infotainment screen problems now been sorted by Skoda on their latest models as I'm about to buy a late 2022 SEL?
SkodaFan

Post by SkodaFan »

I ordered (Jun 22) a '23 facelifted SEL (with a few extras) which I collected in October.

The car is excellent vis-a-vis the mechanics & the driving, but the infotainment system is, to say the least, dreadful.

Many posts on this & other forums about the problems, and it turns out not to be solely a Skoda problem but across the whole VAG group, with Auto Express article (in 2021) concluding that while the cars themselves are very goof the infotainment systems (presumably across all brands) are not much better than useless.

My own experiences would support such a view.

I can't help but think that Skoda won't be busting a gut to put things right, but will comply with instructions from HQ & (probably) pretend that there isn't a problem.

I have now seen many comments from fellow Skoda drivers to the effect that they're giving up on the built in SatNav & using Google Maps or Waze on their mobiles, cast to their vehicles by Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. This is the route I'm following although I remain hopeful that the built in unit might be actually usable (without a 1st Class Hons degree in computer science!)

I suppose that we can dream of the day when all cars with this problem will be subject to a recall & sorted out by massive dealer intervention, but I can't help but think that this scenario could be likened to the deiselgate emisions scandal.
Lost in Bucks

Post by Lost in Bucks »

We took delivery of our new SEL in September, the Sat Nav issues are still prevalent and we have been unable to get ours fixed. It also takes months to get the vehicle into the dealer after each failed attempt.
This vehicle follows 3 Golfs which appeared to have similar sat navs, this one is hopeless.
Lost in Bucks

Post by Lost in Bucks »

There are so many posts regarding errant sat navs. Unfortunately we have the same blight.
The sat nav is unable to recognise where it is, often placing us in adjacent towns or driving non-existant roads across country. If a destination is installed, and any deviation from the route, ( frequent round here because of HS2) the system can't find itself and you are left without a functioning navigation system.
Leaving the West London dealership, the M25 was blocked, the sat nav gave us no indication, but the slip road was blocked, so we continued along the M4. It was unable to reposition itself for the entire remaining journey of about 30 minutes insisting that we turn round.
I've virtually given up on trying to fund the persistent rattle from behind the dashboard.
One last push to try to resolve or we will be following Dudley's path. The vehicle is certainly 'not fit for purpose'.