Sat Nav issue - help please

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
Japseroony

Post by Japseroony »

Hi All

We have just taken delivery of a 21 plate SE L and love it already but we have an issue with the sat nav :!:

When we enter a postcode in the sat nav it offers an address as "offroad" and then some longitude/latitude coordinates which is really strange.

If we then go to past locations it just gives us a load of coordinates to go to as opposed to street addresses so we don't know if we are going to the right address etc.

Anyone had this and is there a fix please :?:

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

It might be worth making a P.M. to 'Jimmy' on the yeti forum.
He has just bought an Octavia iV PHEV and is having horrendous problems with his sat-nav. He's almost at the point of rejecting the car.
https://www.yetiownersclub.co.uk/search ... =relevance
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
24 VRT

Post by 24 VRT »

Hi Japseroony. In short, that is what this latest VW infotainment (MIB3) does. It's not set up to do postcode searches and despite people complaining to Skoda UK, the responses vary from 'the rest of the world don't use postcode searching' to 'there may be a fix in due course'.
To use the satnav the way you want, you need to search using street and town names. Alternatively, connect your mobile with Apple Carplay or Android Auto and use whichever satnav app you prefer - Waze, for example, gives you live traffic info plus mobile speed camera van warnings. All that happens is the screen you'd see on your mobile appears on your infotainment screen and you control the app via that, rather than the phone.
fuzzypob

Post by fuzzypob »

yeah - would second that with Waze - far better traffic reporting, hazards etc - I never use in car sat navs (unless I'm somewhere without a mobile signal which is increasingly rare) as they are all a bit rubbish
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

The problem with residential postcodes in the UK is that they can cover quite a large area, so the MIB3 satnavs, only take you to the centre of that area and identify it by its lat/long coords. And the way the MIB3 software is designed, you can't then select an actual address.

Workrounds are to identify your desired location by its address instead, or by a POI name, if these are present in its database. Alternatively, I find that if I find a location on Google Maps on my phone, I can then share that location with the Skoda Connect app on my phone, and then send that to the car. When I next turn on the ignition, I get a message after a few minutes saying it has received the location, and asking me whether I want to store it or navigate to it.

VAG are well aware of the design defects in the software, but as it mainly concerns UK owners only, they don't seem too bothered about prioritising an update - perhaps because all their software designers are too busy trying to get the software on their electric cars working first! There was also a mention in AutoExpress though this week, (https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/opinion/3 ... it-purpose) so hopefully continued bad publicity may improve matters.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
scorpion2

Post by scorpion2 »

I have a new karoq SE L and I spent hours trying to figure out how to insert a full address, including house number, in the satnav. In my previous car - Suzuki Vitara this was easy. As you say, it is almost impossible to do this. I did find a way eventually but it is a bit hit and miss. On the satnav screen showing the map I pressed the spyglass icon to the right, centre of the screen (not the two at the top left). This then brings up another screen. Press the spyglass and letter icon on the top right of the screen. This should then show an input line on the top. Insert the address required starting with the house number, street, town etc and if this is recognised by the system it will show it underneath (This may take a few seconds). You can then press this to start navigation. As I said, it is tempremental as some addresses were not recognised while other were picked up straight away. I tend to connect my iPhone now and use the maps app which is far superior. Hope this helps.
jjg70

Post by jjg70 »

I've just taken the easy option as I did with my Kia Sorento - just plug in the Tom Tom.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post