Cabin Soundproofing

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
fuzzypob

Post by fuzzypob »

Hi all,

just traded in my Qashqai for a 1.6TDI SEL Karoq - Whilst it blows my previous car out of the park in pretty much all areas, the one thing I have noticed is the background rumble from the diesel engine is much more noticable in the Karoq cabin- I've previously had 1.5 TDI Yeti and a 2.0 TDI Tiguan, and don't remember them being as noisy in the cabin. It's not like there is an issue with the engine per se, it just seems to my ear that the soundproofing is not really doing the job - has anyone else noticed this ?

that issue aside (and it could just be me being over critical in the first few days of ownership) I'm in love with the car and happy to be back in team Skoda again :D

CJJE

Post by CJJE »

Others have said there is less soundproofing on a Karoq than the Tiguan gets. Presumably VW's way of making sure Skoda isn't allowed to match VW's perceived quality? It's the same with the harder plastic door panels. But the main noise I notice in my TSI is tyre rumble rather than engine noise.

I think there are threads talking about adding sound proofing under the carpets and on boot panels etc, but it doesn't seem easy.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

I posted this on the other Forum last December.

"Thought I'd raise this again. I recently contacted Noisekiller in Royton. They have a kit for the Karoq but haven't yet posted the fitting instructions on their website. They emailed them to me. Must admit I'm a bit daunted by the things you have to do.

"INTERIOR OF VEHICLE
5 and 5a Undo the carpet kick strips by the door and slide these pads under the front carpets. Item 5a goes under front seat
6 and 6a These slide under passenger front carpet 6 a under the seat
7 and 8 These fit alongside the side of the transmission tunnel 7 to drivers side
9 & 10 These pads fit under the rear foot well carpets
Pads Because of all the electrics in this area adhere these pads under the seat and on the upright of the frame"
Access under the carpet doesn't seem too difficult

"BOOT COMPARTMENT.
11* & 12* These adhere to the rear wheel arches side and top drivers side
13* & 14* Adhere to the passenger side rear wheel arch and top
Pads 5 pads are included to fit on the rear wings"
No idea how to remove the trim to get access to the inside of the side panels. The spare wheel and under boot carpet fitting (not quoted) seems straightforward.

"PADS
Adhere one pad to the outer skin of each door."

The last door card I removed was in the 1960s on my Ford Anglia. I'm a bit wary of going inside the Karoq doors to get to the outer skin what with electrics and windows etc."

tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Hi....

I too am concerned about the levels of tyre/road noise from Karoq (MY20) 2.0 TDI Edition. In all other respects I am well pleased with the car and enjoy driving it. It would be interesting to know if the problem is across the range and a criticism from the inception of the Karoq range.

Steve
MY20 - Black Magic Edition 2.0 TDI DSG 4x4 Dealer fitted after market tow bar.
fuzzypob

Post by fuzzypob »

Thanks for the responses - I guess the additional soundproofing may be the route to go although as you say it does look a bit of a faff - I guess for now I will live with it and see if it's something that bothers me less once the newness has worn off
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Two suggestions for road noise:

1. Choose smaller wheels. Big fashionable tyres generate more noise
2. Turn the radio up.

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post