Dash Cam fitted to rear roofline - blocks radio

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
goobs

Post by goobs »

I have a dash cam velcro'd to the rear of the roof and have fed the power cable to the boot lighter socket.

The power cable is tucked into the rubber boot seal.

Whenever I power on the dash cam the FM and DAB radio signal is severely degraded.

I tried letting the power cable hang loose but the dash cam just wipes out radio signals.

It is an old one I have used in two Golfs and a Honda Civic for donkeys years without issue - model A118c.

Any one any ideas ?

Pragmatix55

Post by Pragmatix55 »

You need to fit a ferrit core on the power cables
Must be mad not enough money to be eccentric
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

I believe the heated rear window elements may be used as the radio aerial, with the shark's fin thingy being the GPS and mobile phone aerial??
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
Richiej64

Post by Richiej64 »

Agreed. Had same issue fit a ferrit core on the dash cam cable about 4-6inches from cam and it’s sorted. Did on mine anyway. Usually come with kit or hardwire kit for £20 ish
goobs

Post by goobs »

Thanks for the advice. I'll dig a core out tonight, or rob it from and old power adapter ;)
goobs

Post by goobs »

Well I fitted ferrite clamp and yes it is better but still lose signal when out in the sticks. Soon as I unplug the dashcam the radio is fine.
I might try looping the power cable through the core or fit 2 or 3 see what happens!
goobs

Post by goobs »

Still no joy, even with extra ferrite cores.

I read somewhere that some dash cams use a 12 to 5v converter and that generates loads of noise, sometimes too much even for ferrite cores.

So for now I've removed the old A118 dash cam from the rear and am looking for a replacement.

Ideally I'd like a new 60fps front cam and a new rear 30fps. My current Thinkware F50 failed to record a number plate of an oncoming vehicle scrape, other than a blur, so has failed me when I actually needed footage from it.

Has anyone any suggestions for a DAB interference free front/rear dash cam setup with 60fps front and also hardwired proper parking mode that turns off at 12 volts please ?
Routemaster1

Post by Routemaster1 »

If the camera is connected via a usb lead, surely it will be 5 volts. If it plugs directly into a 12V power supply, then presumably it will operate on 12V or there will be an internal converter.
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

Re ferrite cores.

Sometimes they are looped through then back and looped through a second time.

tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I use a Thinkware F770 front and rear system. Works perfectly with no radio interference.

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post