Some surprising tyre news.

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

I had to replace two Goodyear all seasons today due to 'sidewall bubbles'.
I asked the manager of Protyre Poole about Michelin Cross Climate as I have always been a Michelin fan.
His comment was (verbatim) " I wouldn't recommend Michelin to anybody".
The reason he gave was that they were living on their name and charging too much.
I opted for Falken Euroall Season.
He said they were just as good as Michelin, same wet grip etc, etc and at £100 per tyre (215/60 /15 V) were £29 cheaper than the Cross Climate.
It is not generally known that FALKEN are the 4th biggest tyre maker on the planet.
His comment about my Goodyears, when I asked about the trouble I had with the two removed today and in the past and with friends who have had the same problems, is that Goodyear have thinner side walls than many other makes.
Hopefully this may be useful to anyone contemplating new tyres.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)

Demport

Post by Demport »

That's an interesting comment, Colin.
First tyre change on my Edition a couple of months away. I am also favouring Michelin Cross Climates as had them on a previous vehicle but may reconsider.
Incidentally, all 4 of the current tyres - Bridgestone Dueler Sport 225/45 R19 - are only going to achieve circa 25,000 miles.
Considering my 'old man' driving style, I considered it rather disappointing. Any thoughts? (on the mileage, not my driving style ;) )
Cheers
22MY, Karoq 1.5 Edition DSG - 71 registered

Replaced 19MY, Karoq 1.5 Edition DSG 4x4 - 69 registered
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

I've been watching the tyre tests in the magazines (AutoBild and AutoExpress), as I also favour all-season tyres, and remember reading that there was a 3rd generation Michelin CrossClimate coming soon. But for now, they have been overtaken by Goodyear and Bridgestone. Note that the German magazines put a higher weighting on snow performance than we need in the UK (IMO) and I prefer to judge them on fuel economy, cold wet grip, and noise/comfort.
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I have CrossClimate SUV tyres on all four wheels and have to say that they are a massive improvement on the garbage Bridgestones that came with the car. However, I have long been a fan of Falken tyres and will consider them next time around as the best price I could get on Michelins was around £180 per corner.

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

Colin

When you have had time to get used to them let us know how the noise/comfort is in comparison to the Goodyears.

tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
adierobo

Post by adierobo »

my Karoq had 15000 on the clock and 3 years in when I got told I needed new tyres, I took it as high as the UK CEO and it filtered down that this was acceptable
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Difficult to say really as I had to replace 2 G/year due to bulging walls. Common, apparently, on that brand due to having thinner walls that most.
I put the two new Falkens on the front, for obvious reasons,
The tread pattern on both are almost identical and they do make a bit of a whirring noise, but it is neither intrusive nor unpleasant.
The comfort of the Falkens is the same as the G/year.. BUT they are all on 16 inch rims with 60 aspect tyres.
So I can't pass any comment in any respect if you go for much lower aspect.
I only bought the wheels, with the the tyres fitted because i couldn't stand the hard ride of the OE 40 aspect 'rubber bands.
When I sell the Karoq, depending on what I buy next i will put the 'sillyOE wheels and tyres back on and the 16inch will appear here for sale.

Falken EUROALL SEASON AS210

Goodyear. All Season.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post