Start / stop

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
Tullamore

Post by Tullamore »

Have reason for this not working as vehicle power consumption too high / can someone please explain this to me as I have no extras just basic Karoq any help in this matter appreciated

24 VRT

Post by 24 VRT »

Start / stop will not operate if one or more conditions listed in the owners manual are not met. Most likely the one triggering the 'power consumption' one is the need to keep charging the battery. If the car is sitting unused for long periods, and/or lots of short trips, then the battery will get depleted and the system focuses on getting the battery recharged. I find a run every fortnight for about 15 miles down the motorway and back gets the start / stop working again by the time I'm home.
Trogglet

Post by Trogglet »

Very slightly off topic, but I believe you need to take a run at least every three weeks to prevent battery depletion (presumably all the cleverness gobbles up the electricity when the car is not used)
Karoq SEL 1.5 petrol. Delivered 1 day before lockdown.
Previously Octavia II
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

The other reason and the usual one for s/s not working (thank God) is if you have the a/c set too high above ambient temperature with a cold engine. Once at operating temp it should kick in.
It is yet to be proved that S/S is 'saving the planet. Generally considered to be a pain in the @rse and a sop to the green brigade!
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

My S/S rarely works (a bonus as I loathe Start/Stop and it saves me turning the system off). The car typically does two 8 miles journies a day to and from work with longer runs at weekends when we are allowed to travel. Even after a long run (a couple of hundred miles), I find the S/S will stop working within a day or so of my usual motoring.

a few times recently I have noted that the headlights have not come on when unlocking the car; presumably due to low battery voltage. A plug-in meter in the dash power socket shows the resting voltage of the battery to be below 12v, often down to 11.6v and sometimes lower. My Yeti used to have similar resting voltages but I have not found anybody who can tell me what resting voltage to expect from the battery in a karoq. I should point out that I have not had any problems with the function of the car due to the low battery voltage. it starts and runs without any issues but I am curious about the battery voltage.

Any thoughts?

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
snowglowjoe

Post by snowglowjoe »

Milfmog, my sentiments exactly! No problem at any time with starting the car, but typical resting volatage of 11.7 volts confirmed with plug-in voltage meter and Connect Lite app. Due to restrictions, I admittedly have not carried out any long journeys recently, but this resting voltage and ''high power consumption' message, was around when I did?
Car went in for service last week and I mentioned problem and asked for battery condition and alternator output to be checked - All good was the reply. I am not a great lover of stop-start either, but I would like to know what is causing the problem? Just to add to the mix, I occasionally get a completely random reset of 'long term' and 'since refuel' fuel consumption figures which also annoys me!
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

The battery is only charging under certain circumstances most commonly on overrun.

For the last year I have only done short journeys and start/stop rarely activated.
I needed to do a longer journey last week and for a short period the start/stop began working again.

I don't worry about it.

tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

My 'resting' voltage after a night off is at least 12.1v.
The instant I start the engine it rises to 14 + and remains constant at this level all the time I am driving regardless of what loads are being put on it, lights, heated seats A/C etc
I have a voltmeter plugged in permanently in the 12v socket.
available here, for peanuts.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... r&_sacat=0
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
MTaylor26

Post by MTaylor26 »

I have just charged my battery because I have been concerned my car has struggled to turn over although always started now showing a standing voltage of 12.26V when running I am only getting 13.3V and that is without anything on someway short of the 14.1+ mentioned would you think I have an alternator problem? Thanks
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

I can't judge I'm afraid. All 3 or my Karoqs have charged as stated above.
I don't understand all these cars with flat batteries?
Perhaps it is lack of use during lockdown. with the alarm draining the battery slowly.
I use my car for very short journeys. About 2 mile round trip in the morning and 1 mile in the afternoon for dog walk. 4 mile round trip twice a week for essential food shopping and 80 mile trip once a fortnight.
Apart from the 80 mile trip I have been using my car all through the lockdowns as I have to travel the short distances to walk my dog. the 80 mile trip, when I do it, is to visit my 'bubbled' partner. (with police permission- before anybody jumps on me)
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post