Karoq 1.5 Auto. Temp gauge

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
Jonesy1962

Post by Jonesy1962 »

Hi all,

I have a 2020 1500 petrol Karoq, It has a problem that my local garage cant solve.. I hope someone can help...
When we had cold freezing weather, the car temp gauge would start to show the car is warming up. It would get to 90.. in the middle as it always does.. then instantly drops to 0. then slowly starts to go back up .. All the time I have heat coming out of heater..

I have no air con on just on auto and set to 19... When the car temp drops, to 0, the car judders and misfires a little , then a bit of black smoke out back , then when warm to 90 all is ok... Fuel consumption has gone from average 44 to 32 ..... Any ideas, or has someone else had same problem many thanks

kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

First of all, welcome to the forum.
That is really weird. I really can't think what it might be.
When you say your local garage, do you mean your local SKODA dealer? If not, then contact you Skoda dealer. if it is, then I suggest that you request (quite forcibly if necessary) that they consult Skoda technical department for their input. And ring Skoda customer services and ask to speak to technical support. 03330 037 504.
It is not acceptable for them to simply shrug it off if they can't isolate the problem.
Even more intriguing is the puff of black smoke and increase in consumption.
If any other members have any ideas please comment.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

I don't claim to be an expert, but here are my initial thoughts:

I'd suspect that the water temperature isn't really dropping that fast - my recent cars retain heat in the radiator and block for a surprisingly long time when the engine is switched off. So it's more likely (in my opinion) that it's the electrical current to the gauge that's dipping and then recovering. Is it a bad connection to it? Or perhaps there's a general drop in voltage is causing the misfire?? Do lights dim, or the radio lose signal or volume?

It's going to be cold again this week! So it could be worth checking that the battery connections are tight. Beyond that I'd be looking at distributor and spark plug leads etc -- but with modern VAG cars I'm not sure I could even find them. Still, a decent workshop should be able to!

The drop in economy sounds a very large change just from a misfire while the engine is warming up. But I often find my fuel economy is worse in winter than summer - both from the drop in temperature and probably shorter journeys.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
sanqhar

Post by sanqhar »

Start at the basics.

Put the battery on a charger.

tom
....and today was a good day in the life of....
24 VRT

Post by 24 VRT »

Jonesy1962 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:15 pm .. When the car temp drops, to 0, the car judders and misfires a little , then a bit of black smoke out back , then when warm to 90 all is ok... Fuel consumption has gone from average 44 to 32 .....
Sounds like a sensor is either faulty or getting false triggers - black smoke and misfiring indicates the warm engine is being overfuelled - reflected in the sizeable drop in mpg. It needs to be hooked up for diagnostics to see what sensors or other faults show up. Strongly recommennd it goes to a Skoda dealership to diagnose if not already.
Jonesy1962

Post by Jonesy1962 »

Thanks all
Its at local Skoda dealer , they said nothing showed up, but as its a cold spell coming they have kept car, to see if its a faulty sensor , also called Skoda Tech , to see if they can help..

Once again thanks to all

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post