Car locking itself

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
ambizop

Post by ambizop »

cars lock themselves when you drive over a certain speed limit, preventing the doors from popping open or carjackers from opening the door. Further, your car will likely lock itself if you've unlocked the doors, but haven't opened them. techzpod download mobdro

Routemaster1

Post by Routemaster1 »

ambizop wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:02 am cars lock themselves when you drive over a certain speed limit, preventing the doors from popping open or carjackers from opening the door. Further, your car will likely lock itself if you've unlocked the doors, but haven't opened them. techzpod download mobdro
The car can lock itself when the speed exceeds a few mph. But whether you have this activated is your choice. This is switched on and off by holding the button on the dashboard down for several seconds. The locking is designed to prevent unauthorised entry; I doubt if it will do anything to prevent doors or boot opening. The system is designed to unlock the doors in the event of an impact, but would you want to count on it? In common with most cars, unlocking the doors, then failing to open a door will result in the car relocking.
DW3st0n

Post by DW3st0n »

HAs their been a specific reason found that causes this, my Karoq seems to lock if I shut the door, when I first get in and not turned the ignition on.

Having a 2 year old my fear is them getting locked in the car.

Could it be a faulty battery in the fob or is it down to the locking mechanism?
mttshw

Post by mttshw »

Have this same issue with my 2019 Karoq 2.0 sportline.

Car locks itself randomly. I've never had it (or noticed it) while in the car - only when outside. Really fun when bringing stuff in from the car. My fear is one day leaving the key in the car with my baby in the back. Have to be really careful.

I havent been to skoda about it because its intermittent, figured they'd just charge me a diagnostic fee then say there is nothing wrong.
Ryebanana

Post by Ryebanana »

I have this same issue with our Karoq and Skoda say there's no fault.

We've had one incident where our child was locked in and we had to smash the window to get her out as AA was over an hour away.

My advice is don't buy a Skoda! We certainly will never consider it again.
Kernow

Post by Kernow »

Our 2018 Petrol SEL Karoq has started to develop the same problem. It sometimes locks itself after being driven. Today my wife and I were just swapping over driving, we closed all doors while we moved round the vehicle. We had left the key inside and were suddenly locked out. £25 for a taxi home to get the spare key!
Gillysum12

Post by Gillysum12 »

My Karoq reg 18 has same random problem. It’s been happening with increasing frequency.
All doors and boot lock whether the keys are in the vehicle or my pocket. I’m so worried that the grandchild / dog will get locked in.
Phoned dealer to book in for a fix. The first person told me it was my fault as I should never l leave the keys in the car. Ahem, so much for the functionality which prevents the car locking with the keys inside.
I spoke to a more helpful person after that…
It’s booked in now but I have to wait a month for the appointment as they are so short staffed.
Meanwhile I keep the keys in my pocket at all times.
It’s a really worrying safety issue.
Any confirmation on what the precise cause is Would be very much appreciated.
IanW

Post by IanW »

I accidentally tested the 'locking with a key inside' functionality the other day and its certainly not possible to lock with another fob or touching the keyless lock sensor on the door handle, it basically just ignores it!.

However, there are two situations where the doors can legitimately be locked when a key is inside the vehicle:-
1) The speed is above the autolock threshold
2) the lock/unlock button in the centre console is pressed

I would have thought that 1) is pretty much impossible to happen in error. However 2) , especially if the button works without ignition on ( not sure about that ? ) is possible. The button is a 'soft' button and merely sends a signal to the body control electronics module, that its been pressed. The BCM then decides what to do. You can imagine some fault in the lock circuit MAY cause an erroneous signal to the BCM which then locks the doors!. That tends to fit with people having locks replaced to cure the fault. I've also seen somewhere that excessive grease in the lock could have caused a 'short circuit', seems to fit!
connerscl

Post by connerscl »

This also happened to me. My Karoq locked itself with my kids inside the car. We had to smash the glass to get to them, as the car key was in my handbag on the passenger seat. 
I also happen to be a journalist now looking into how widespread an issue this self-locking fault might be (our car was diagnosed as having an electrical fault, with the car doors needing to be replaced). If anyone has had a similar issue and would like to get in touch with me for the newspaper piece, I would be grateful. I am on clare.h.conway@hotmail.co.uk. Thank you
connerscl

Post by connerscl »

The self-locking issue happened to me, with my two children trapped inside our Karoq on a hot summer's day. (We had to smash the passenger window glass to get them out.) Skoda eventually diagnosed an electrical fault with the car door. The car was three weeks out of warranty, MOT etc all up to date.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post