Graunching/screeching rear pads

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Karoq
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

In reverse only my rear brake pads make a loud screeching graunchy noise.
going forwards no problem.
It happens even after the brakes have been applied frequently. so it isn't 'overnight' rust.
Any ideas? (perhaps it's the new reversing warning for pedestrians! :lol: )
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Moderator Karoq & HR-V Fora.
(Kodiaq Forum Moderator, resigned!)

CJJE

Post by CJJE »

Are the disks pitted or worn?

I was rather surprised to find my 6 year-old Golf needed new rear disks at it last MOT, and was told that with modern cars, they hardly get used as there is so much engine braking going on. So they corrode badly and need changing far earlier than old-style cars did.

In fact there is now a move back to drum brakes at the rear because they don't suffer in the same way.

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Thanks for your thoughts.
It was Meadens demo bought at 1,300 miles and has now covered only 3k-ish. The noise has been present since day one. So doubtful I would have thought.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Tullamore

Post by Tullamore »

Have same problem on my karoq only done 10,000 but been doing it for a bit so I to am interested in any help
Trogglet

Post by Trogglet »

Some pads were made with a metal tag which contacted the disc as soon as the pad was half worn, thus making a dreadful noise and making you change the pads plenty early. No idea if that is still the case, but if it is, and the tag is too long, things could get noisy - and noisier in one direction than t'other!
Karoq SEL 1.5 petrol. Delivered 1 day before lockdown.
Previously Octavia II
kodiaq

Post by kodiaq »

Trogglet. Thanks, interesting!
Tullamore.I will report back after the 31st as Skoda have agreed to replace under warranty on that date. They did so with no argument and rapidly, making me think that this problem is known to them. We shall see.
Colin Lambert.
Poole, Dorset.
Diploma Auto Eng.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I've not had any graunching noises but my rear pads and disks are shot after just under 30K miles. The front brakes have loads of meat left and the disks look unused. I've never had a car eat back brakes instead of fronts before... (And am not impressed at the £380 my local dealer wants to replace pads and discs).

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670
CJJE

Post by CJJE »

When my previous Golf SV had its last service (after around 45,000) I was amazed to find it needed new discs and pads at the back. Apparently the rear discs get eroded now as most of the braking effort is done by the front brakes and engine/gearbox, and then the erosion wrecks the pads.

Electric cars use the rear brakes even less I'm told, and so they are returning to using drum brakes at the rear for a longer life!

Chris
VW Golf GT 1.9TDI from 11/98 to 3/06; Skoda Octavia L&K 2.0TDI from 3/06 to 12/11; VW Golf Plus SE 1.6TDI DSG from 12/11 to 2/15; VW Golf SV SE 1.4TSI DSG from 2/15 to 11/20; Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 4x4 DSG from 11/20.
Trogglet

Post by Trogglet »

Re Milfmog's 30k brake pads, surely if the dodgy gizmo hold the brake on thingy is out of adjustment, and holds the brakes on a bit too long, it will either rapidly wear out the clutch, or the brakes, or both.
Or maybe it just isn't letting off far enough.
Karoq SEL 1.5 petrol. Delivered 1 day before lockdown.
Previously Octavia II
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Thanks for the thought Trogglet.

Has anybody changed the rear pads and discs on a Karoq themselves? I am thinking I may risk a skinned knuckle rather than fork out the money that the local main dealer wants or even the price the local independent wants to charge. The last car I changed brake pads on was a hatchback Granada; dead easy job except that the pistons had to be wound back into the callipers and always took far more force than I expected, making for a long task.

Have fun,

Ian.
Karoq SE-L 1.5TSI DSG 2WD. Emerald green, beige leather, heated screen and steering wheel, lane assist, blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control.

My Fuelly page www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2018/tazzymutt/798670

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post